Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

calculating fincancial trend adjusting for sales days per month

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with this issue as I’m truly baffled. Thank you in advance.

Basically, what I am doing is building a financial tool that can explore trends for current month, year to date, rolling 12 months & rolling three months. I’ve calculated these with the normal trend equation, but have to add an additional calculation to adjust for loss/gain of a selling day. So my trend equation ends up being: this years sales/ last years sales -1 +adjustment for selling day/100

I imported a table that has selling day broken down for each time period and used RELATED to add them as columns to my data table. So really all I have to do pull in matching value from my selling day adjust column.

Here’s the issue:

For my Current month and year to date equations, this works perfectly. For the equations where I am using DATEADD or DATESBETWEEN, nothing happens. It doesn’t even register that part of the equation.

I have a filter on for April 2019, I just want the selling day to pull for the matching line for April 2019.

Here’s an example of my current month measure that works:

CM Trend = (Data_Vol[cm])/(Data_Vol[PY CM Vol])-1+AVERAGE(Data_Vol[SD Month])/100

These are the measures that create [cm] and [PY CM Vol]:

CM = CALCULATE(sum(Data_Vol[VOL_CASES]))

PY CM Vol = CALCULATE(Data_Vol[total sales],DATEADD('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH))

This works just fine.

Here is an example of the measure that does not work:

PM Trend = (Data_Vol[CY PM])/(Data_Vol[PY PM])-1+AVERAGE(Data_Vol[SD PM)/100

Here are the measures that create: [CY PM] and [PY PM]:

CY PM= CALCULATE(Data_Vol[totalsales], DATEADD('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH))

PY PM = CALCULATE(Data_Vol[totalsales], DATEADD('Date'[Date],-13,MONTH))

Here are the measures for the rolling 3months that are also not equating.  the trend calculation is essentially the same.

PY L3M = CALCULATE(Data_Vol[total sales],DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],FIRSTDATE(DATEADD('Date'[Date],-14,month)),LASTDATE(DATEADD('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH))))

CY L3M = CALCULATE(Data_Vol[total sales], DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],FIRSTDATE(DATEADD('Date'[Date],-2,month)),LASTDATE(DATEADD('Date'[Date],0,MONTH))))

Very confused as to why some measures are calculating correctly and some are not. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please post some simple sample data and your desired result to have a test if possible?

You could see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.