Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MP_123
Employee
Employee

calculate with filter

hi,

i have two tables related by ID

in the second table, i have ID column and string column

for example

ID    String

1     ab

2     abc

with calculated measure, i concatenate chars together with conditions. sometimes the value is ab, somteimes abc.

i created another calculated measure that take one measure from the first table and filter the second table

caclulate (sum(measure from table 1),filter(table2,string=ConcatenateMEASURE))

when i look at the DB i see that the query kind of do LIke instead of exact (for example if my concatenate measure is ab, the query result is ab and abc), i tried to use 'EXACT' function and it doesn't work also.

only when i write 'ab' instead of the measure's valuee, the query result is correct.

is someone knows what's the problem?

thanks a lot!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@MP_123

only when i write 'ab' instead of the measure's valuee, the query result is correct.

As ConcatenateMEASURE is within the FILTER function, it will be evaluated for each row of the table2. So the result of ConcatenateMEASURE will be "ab" and "abc", not "ab".

In this scenario, using VAR function (whose value do not change once evaluated in the current context, even if the variable is referenced in another expression) should solve this issue. The formula below is for your reference.

=
VAR ConcatenateValue = ConcatenateMEASURE
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'table1'[measure_from_table1] ),
        FILTER ( table2, string = ConcatenateValue )
    )

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@MP_123

As ConcatenateMEASURE is within the FILTER function, it will be evaluated for each row of the table2. So the result of ConcatenateMEASURE will be "ab" and "abc", not "ab".

In this scenario, using VAR function (whose value do not change once evaluated in the current context, even if the variable is referenced in another expression) should solve this issue. The formula below is for your reference.

=
VAR ConcatenateValue = ConcatenateMEASURE
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'table1'[measure_from_table1] ),
        FILTER ( table2, string = ConcatenateValue )
    )

Regards

Hello,

I am new to Power BI; I have only defined basic measures so far.

- I assume the code snippet (from = VAR) - correct?

- Where/How do we define ConcatenateMEASURE?

Thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.