Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MacJasem
Helper II
Helper II

calculate the Size value from from Dimension table for the corresponding products in FactSales table

Hi Guys

Hope somebody can help me with this task.

I have two Tables, table A (FactTable) & table B (dimensionTable). Both of the has the ProductID Column, but i'm trying to get the corresponding Product Size values from table B into a new column in table A that matches the ProductID. I've tried to merge etc. and it didn't work.

The result i'm looking for is that in table A, for every product sale there's a column that shows the product size of that product.

Table A

ProductIDProductUnitSales

2 x

25 x
310 x

Table B

ProductIDProductSize
120 kg
230 kg
340 kg

Result i wish to see is:

Table A

ProductIDProductUnitSalesSalesVolume
33 x3 x 20 kg = 60 kg

How and what is the best way to tackle this task?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MacJasem ,

Are the data types of [ProductUnitSales], [ProductSize], [SalesVolume] numbers or text? If I understand correctly, do you want to get the summary value from table B corresponding to [ProductSize] and create a new column in table A by multiplying this value with [ProductUnitSales]?

If so, please try:

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Table A", {"ProductID"}, #"Table B", {"ProductID"}, "Table B", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table B" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table B", {"ProductSize"}, {"Table B.ProductSize"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table B", "SalesVolume", each [ProductUnitSales] * [Table B.ProductSize]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"ProductID", "ProductUnitSales"}, {{"SalesVolume", each List.Sum([SalesVolume]), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

The PBIX file is attached for reference.

If I have misunderstood your needs or if the problem remains unresolved, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MacJasem ,

Are the data types of [ProductUnitSales], [ProductSize], [SalesVolume] numbers or text? If I understand correctly, do you want to get the summary value from table B corresponding to [ProductSize] and create a new column in table A by multiplying this value with [ProductUnitSales]?

If so, please try:

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Table A", {"ProductID"}, #"Table B", {"ProductID"}, "Table B", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table B" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table B", {"ProductSize"}, {"Table B.ProductSize"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table B", "SalesVolume", each [ProductUnitSales] * [Table B.ProductSize]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"ProductID", "ProductUnitSales"}, {{"SalesVolume", each List.Sum([SalesVolume]), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

The PBIX file is attached for reference.

If I have misunderstood your needs or if the problem remains unresolved, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.