Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

calculate percentage change per category

Hi,

Hoping that there is an obvious solution that I've missed here Smiley Happy

I have a table of data that contains revenue per product, each of these products belongs to a category and I have a set of values for FY17 and FY18.

I can readily construct a % change measure which calculates the % change and can be used in a card to show the % change for each category. However what i want to be able to do is create a visual (column chart) that has each category across the bottom, shows the FY17 and FY18 values as columns and then also displays the % change between the two.

The Measure below (because it has no reference to the category) shows the same value when I include it.

MeasFY18overFY17 = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(
  SUM('Combined FY17FY18'[REVENUE]),
  FILTER( ALLSELECTED ('Combined FY17FY18'),'Combined FY17FY18'[Data Version] = 18)) - CALCULATE(
  FILTER( ALLSELECTED ('Combined FY17FY18'),'Combined FY17FY18'[Data Version] = 17)),CALCULATE(
  FILTER( ALLSELECTED ('Combined FY17FY18'),'Combined FY17FY18'[Data Version] = 17)))

Hope this make sense!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @skasper,

Thanks for the response and it has helped!  

In the sample video, the measures were done using the Time Intelligence Functions and a Date field, whereas my data is summarised up so that I only have the total projection for FY17 and the same projection for FY18.

Therefore in the measure code above, I recreated the "YTD" by filtering the table for Year = "17" and the same for "18", so my problem was not so much the % change calculation but how to get each year's revenue.

So I realised I'd been overcomplicating the measure and set up a new one

FY17Revenue = SUMX('Combined FY17FY18',IF('Combined FY17FY18'[Data Version]=17,'Combined FY17FY18'[REVENUE],0))

and similar for FY18 and therefore updated the % change.

Simon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
skasper
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Anonymous,

while this is not 100% your sceario, I think the same principle can be applied in your case. Check this video from the PowerBi team.

Best - Sascha
Please always mark accepted solutions. It helps others with similar questions or problems. Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @skasper,

Thanks for the response and it has helped!  

In the sample video, the measures were done using the Time Intelligence Functions and a Date field, whereas my data is summarised up so that I only have the total projection for FY17 and the same projection for FY18.

Therefore in the measure code above, I recreated the "YTD" by filtering the table for Year = "17" and the same for "18", so my problem was not so much the % change calculation but how to get each year's revenue.

So I realised I'd been overcomplicating the measure and set up a new one

FY17Revenue = SUMX('Combined FY17FY18',IF('Combined FY17FY18'[Data Version]=17,'Combined FY17FY18'[REVENUE],0))

and similar for FY18 and therefore updated the % change.

Simon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.