Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prakritnepal-cn
Frequent Visitor

calculate % of total with filters on them

I am trying to calculate % of totals with filters on them as a measure to make the calculation dynamic. I have a calculated revenue measure and a list of departments and sales segments on a different table. I am trying to calculate what % of revenue should be allocated between the total of certain department. It should look something like this:

sales segmentDepartmentValuesallocation 1 and 2
segment 1department A1010%
segment 1department B1515%
segment 1department C2020%
Segment 2department D1010%
Segment 2department E1515%
Segment 2department F2020%
Segment 2department G1010%
Segment 3department H15 
Segment 3department I20 
Segment 3department J10 
Segment 3department K15 

segment 145 
 Segment 255 
 Segment 360 

Segment 1 and 2 total100 

Formula I have tried: 

Segment 1 and 2 allocation % =
var unit= CALCULATE([Revenue YTD], FILTER('Sales', 'Sales'[sales segment] = "segment 1" ||'Sales'[sales segment] = "segment 2"))
var grandtotal= SUMX(ALL('Sales'[salessegment]),unit)
var alloc = DIVIDE(unit,grandtotal,0)
return
alloc

I am not getting the right answer on this one. The % allocation should look something like on the table above as allocation 1 and 2 column

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prakritnepal-cn ,

I create a simple example, please check if this could work in your scenario:

allocation % =
VAR RevenueYTD_ALLSELECTED =
    SUMX ( ALLSELECTED ( Sales[sales segment], Sales[Department] ), [Revenue YTD] )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( [Revenue YTD], RevenueYTD_ALLSELECTED )

revenue.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prakritnepal-cn ,

I create a simple example, please check if this could work in your scenario:

allocation % =
VAR RevenueYTD_ALLSELECTED =
    SUMX ( ALLSELECTED ( Sales[sales segment], Sales[Department] ), [Revenue YTD] )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( [Revenue YTD], RevenueYTD_ALLSELECTED )

revenue.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tweaked it a little bit to make it work: I couldn't use slicers as the calculation needed to be combined again. Formula I used:

var unit= CALCULATE([Revenue YTD], FILTER('Sales', 'Sales'[Segment] = "Segment1" || 'Sales'[Segment] = "Segment2" ))
var grandtotal= SUMX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Sales'[Segment],'Sales'[Department]), 'Sales'[Segment] = "Segment1" || 'Sales'[Segment] = "Segment2"),[Revenue YTD])
return
alloc
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @prakritnepal-cn 

try it

Segment 1 and 2 allocation % =
var unit= CALCULATE([Revenue YTD], FILTER('Sales', 'Sales'[sales segment] = "segment 1" ||'Sales'[sales segment] = "segment 2"))
var grandtotal= SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Sales'), 'Sales'[sales segment] = "segment 1" ||'Sales'[sales segment] = "segment 2"),[Revenue YTD])
return
alloc

That seems like it worked but the total is coming out incorrect. Instead of the % totals for that category coming out to be 100% it is at 99.57%. 

prakritnepalcn_0-1626873474925.png

The revenue YTD is a dynamic measure which changes based on slicer selection. Would that affect this? If I change the revenue YTD the allocation measure changes to lower amount:

prakritnepalcn_1-1626873595497.png

It should be 100% based on the slicer selection all the time.

Hi @prakritnepal-cn 

I have little context of that...pm you my email, if you would like to share a sample file

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.