Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

calculate number of days between 2 dates

I have a table with customer information, including a target start date of the contract and the actual start date. I would like to add an additional column showing the number of days the contract actually started before (negative number) of after (positive number) the target start date. I can't figure out how to do that. Do I need DAX formula's?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous You can create a calculated column. Right click on the table, select "New Column", in the formula section you can use

Column Name = 1. * (Table[actual start date] - Table[target start date])

This should give you the negative number of days between the two dates.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Generally you create a column flag on your date as to whether it is a business day or not using WEEKDAY. Then you could use that as a FILTER.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

i've sucessfully added a column which is calculating days between Start Date & End Date. My question is, wherever there is a blank cell in End Date, i want this cell to be considered as today() and calculations continued.

how can it be done

image.png

@nexami @Greg_Deckler Did you ever figure this out? I need to do the same thing. 

How about another step further and ending with the number of business days between two date, so exlcuding weekends? Thank you in advance!

Glorious!  That worked like a charm.  Thanks so much!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors