Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arifulice
Helper I
Helper I

calculate function

The following expression give the Total salary of all month or only May ? Please help me.....

CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FILTER(ALL(FactSalary[Month]), FactSalary[Month]="May"))

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
pawel1
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

May only

• CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FILTER(ALL(FactSalary[Month]), FactSalary[Month]="May"))      filters to MAY of selected year
  • CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FILTER(ALL(FactSalary),              FactSalary[Month]="May"))      filters to all MAYs,  regardless of selected year

View solution in original post

Hello arifulice

I'm not an expert on DAX but I found a good explanation here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Filter-and-Allexcept/td-p/76403

the way I understand:

CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FILTER(ALL(FactSalary[Month]), FactSalary[Month]="May"))

the filter iterates only the values of the [Month] column (you will see May only).  It is the same as:

CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FactSalary[Month]="May"))

in order to remove all the filters from other columns, you change to:

CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FILTER(ALL(FactSalary), FactSalary[Month]="May"))

where the only difference is that the filter iterates the entire FactSalary table and not only the values of the Month column  (you see all months)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pawel1
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

May only

• CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FILTER(ALL(FactSalary[Month]), FactSalary[Month]="May"))      filters to MAY of selected year
  • CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FILTER(ALL(FactSalary),              FactSalary[Month]="May"))      filters to all MAYs,  regardless of selected year

Hello, pawel1

Although I have understand the problem but further you  briefly  describe the solution .(Why only  May will be the answer Although the ALL(FactSalary[Month])  remaining?

Hello arifulice

I'm not an expert on DAX but I found a good explanation here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Filter-and-Allexcept/td-p/76403

the way I understand:

the filter iterates only the values of the [Month] column (you will see May only).  It is the same as:

CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FactSalary[Month]="May"))

in order to remove all the filters from other columns, you change to:

CALCULATE([TotalSalary],FILTER(ALL(FactSalary), FactSalary[Month]="May"))

where the only difference is that the filter iterates the entire FactSalary table and not only the values of the Month column  (you see all months)

Hello Pawel1

Thank you so  much. I have understand the solution, Thats you described in your post...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors