Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andywil456
Advocate II
Advocate II

calculate formula

I trying to pull through the total sales from another table but i want it to show the break down as per each payment category which is cross referenced by index numbers. The formula i'm using is Column = CALCULATE(SUM('customer payment data'[ Customer Amount]),Table1[Index]) but this is only pull down part of the values. 

I have tried to add screenshots but for some reason i can't get these to upload. 

6 REPLIES 6
Habib
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Apply filter on your referenced table within CALCULATE funtion it might work as I am not sure about exact error.

Hi Habib,

Below is a screenshot of the table i have created and the error message.

What i'm after is a breakdown of the total supplier spend by payment category. 

Untitled.jpg

Habib
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@andywil456CALCULATE function expect filter as second parameter but in your scenario your are providing column value. Please add some filter option like ALL or ALLSELECTED.

Thank you @Habib, now i'm getting another issue. Using either filter ALL or ALLSELECTED i'm getting a total value of £26m but the supplier amounts should only total £8.5m.

I have applied the same formula to my customer amounts and they match. Untitled1.jpg

The step up between each table is the same apart when i select "make this relationship active" i get this error message Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

@andywil456

In this scenario, since you have build the relationship between Table1 and 'supplier pymt data', you just need to use ALLEXCEPT to get the data from 'supplier pymt data'  group on [payment category]. The DAX can be like:

=CALCULATE(SUM('supplier pymt data'[Supplier Amount]),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[payment category]))

See my sample below:

Capture66.PNG

Regards,

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If you want that relationship to work you need to make many of the other relationships (and that one) one-way. An easy way to think about is that there should be no loops in your relationships (cycles in graph terminology). The relationship you're trying to create would create a loop.

In terms of the CALCULATE formula, if you want to keep it simple, just go with:

CALCULATE(SUM('supplier pymt data'[Supplier Amount]), ALL('supplier pymt data'), 'supplier pymt data'[payment category] = Table1[payment category])

Then you don't have to worry about the relationship at all (for this step at least). The reason you're getting a weird result right now is that because of the 2-way filtering, the filters are going through the Customer payment -> Date -> Supplier payment, which is giving you unexpected results. Switching to 1-way filtering should fix that. So would the ALL statement above.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.