Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Norbertus
Helper V
Helper V

calculate column datediff

Hai,

I used a calculated column to calculate a time between 2 dates

time = DATEDIFF(item[syscreated];now();DAY)

I have a database with 100.000 rows, after a scheduled refresh i've got the message in the tablevisual whith the field "time" - "Can't show the data". After removing the "time" field the problem looks away.

Do i have to use a different formula of maby a measure and not a calculated column for each row?

What should be the formula for a measure?

With kind regard, Norbertus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I removed the calculated column to the SQL statement in the SQL Server Management Studio.

Now i don't see the problem anymore.

Strange, I thougt that all the data changes can be made in the query-editor. Perhaps not

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Norbertus,

The calculated column formula works fine in my test. I didn't get the same message after I refresh the data manually.

In your scenario, was only data updated after the schedule refresh, was the data type or table structure changed?

Did the error occur only in table visual? How about this calculated column in data view?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I removed the calculated column to the SQL statement in the SQL Server Management Studio.

Now i don't see the problem anymore.

Strange, I thougt that all the data changes can be made in the query-editor. Perhaps not

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Norbertus

I would imagine that a calculate column is the best way forward assuming that you are wanting to report on the actual values rather than an aggregation. 

Were you viewing this through the service? or do you have the same issue when viewing through PBI desktop?

When you view the data in the model does the calculated column show the data ok. I am just trying to establish whether it's just a problem with the visual and not your formula. easiest way to test is to use SSMS and query the model to show the table data. 

I've had a problem before where the dataset hadn't refreshed properly in the service after adding a new calculated column. 

Dog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors