Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

bug with March 2020 PBI Desktop version - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hi Power BI Team,

I am having issues opening my power bi desktop file since i upgraded my version to March 2020. 

This is a production project and I can not make any changes to the data model due to this. Can someone take a look at this.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesLoadContextFactory.CreateLoadToModelQueryEvaluatorFactory()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesLoadContextFactory.OnSqlCredentialsMessage(IMessageChannel channel, SqlCredentialsRequestMessage requestMessage)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.ChannelMessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.Dispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.OnMessageWithUnknownChannel(IMessageChannel baseChannel, MessageWithUnknownChannel messageWithUnknownChannel)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.ChannelMessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.Dispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesLoadContextFactory.MessageDispatchWorker(NamedPipeServerStream inputPipeStream, NamedPipeServerStream outputPipeStream, IMessenger messenger)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass0_1.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
4 REPLIES 4
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @BhaveshPatel 

I failed to reproduce your scenario. The error means Power BI Desktop doesn't recognize the model instance. I would suggest your download and use the old version here . For further information, you may create a support ticket here .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI, 

I had similar issue and couldn't solve it. In the end I installed older version of PBI Desktop, and that solved part of problem.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @BhaveshPatel ,

Sometimes there are some specifi errors based on version, software, hardware. 

I suggest one of two things:

• Click the send a frown (if option is available)
    • Previous errors I had got a very quick response from microsfot since this will open a ticket rigth on the support database
  • Make this post on the issue part of the forum
    • Again based on my experience microsoft support will get back to you ASAP

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Thanks @MFelix 

Thanks for the suggestions!

I already have an open ticket with Microsoft and already applied all suggested steps.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.