Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

XLBob
Resolver II
Resolver II

bug in Power BI Desktop (Filtering not working as expected)

FilteringFilteringrelationshiprelationshiplookuplookupfactfact

simple sample data here, 1 fact and 1 lookup. standard relationship between lookup and fact. as you can see in very top JPG, when I select 0 from lookup, only 1 row which has traffic value 0 should have been returned. However, 2 rows have been returned. Selecting any other value will give me expected result. I assume this is a bug for the March release of Power BI desktop as I don't understand at all why it's doing this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RahulYadav
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @XLBob,

There seems to be an issue if there are nulls in Numeric field used for joining two tables. If you convert the Traffic & Gov Traffic PA fields to "Text" then the issue is not replicating.2018-03-16_12-17-28.jpg

Thanks,

Rahul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RahulYadav
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @XLBob,

There seems to be an issue if there are nulls in Numeric field used for joining two tables. If you convert the Traffic & Gov Traffic PA fields to "Text" then the issue is not replicating.2018-03-16_12-17-28.jpg

Thanks,

Rahul

@RahulYadav,Thanks for your brilliant idea. I will give this a try next Monday. I need the Traffic value to be INT type as it's used in numeric calculation. Anyway, x1 will convert any number as text back to numbers so it doesn't concern me too much. But I still hope that MS can fix this. 

XLBob
Resolver II
Resolver II

@MattAllington Matt, have you come accross this?

Seems like it's seeing 0 the same as NULL (blanks)

You cannot have a blank as a foreign key in a data table.

edit:  well clearly you can, but you shouldn't

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington Thanks for your reply. I am not convinced by the fact that having blank as a foreign key in a data table is the reason why it's doing that. When I filter blank it's only giving me the balnk row in fact table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.