Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

marma330
Helper I
Helper I

book on 1200 compatbility level still relevant?

I am trying to improve my skills in SSAS and I am reading "tabular modeling in SSAS" book from Russo and Ferrari.

I am following their examples but I usually see SQL Server 2016 RTM (1200) as compatilibity level, and in my local environment I have both sql server 2017 and 2019 (1400 and 1500 respectively) compatibility levels.

My question is: are there many differences between 1200 and 1500?

I am doubtful.... Not sure if I am wasting my time with a book that is 2 versions old..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Yes there are. The 1400 and 1500 uses an engine really similar to Power Bi Premium. The engine will have a lot of its connectors and it will let you run Power Query as the Query Editor for each table you want to process in your model. The 1200 won't have features like that keeping only the semantic model features.

I strongly suggest you to play with 1400+. For me iIt's even painful the 1200 haha.

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Sorry I don't know a book about that. I have always learn starting with Microsoft doc tutorials. Here you have for last compatibility:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tutorial-tabular-1400/as-adventure-works-tutorial...

Hope that helps.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Yes there are. The 1400 and 1500 uses an engine really similar to Power Bi Premium. The engine will have a lot of its connectors and it will let you run Power Query as the Query Editor for each table you want to process in your model. The 1200 won't have features like that keeping only the semantic model features.

I strongly suggest you to play with 1400+. For me iIt's even painful the 1200 haha.

Hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

@ibarrauthanks for your answer! Any good book like the one from Russo and Ferrari but for 1400+ ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.