Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

barcode visual in report

We have a use case where it would be good to have a bar code showing on the report. Basically being able to format a number field to appear as a barcode rather than digits. Clearly understaning that this type of reports is not really what Power BI is about, but in this use case it would still be very useful. Is there a way to do that?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

From official documents, the barcode data category is used to filter report by scanning the barcode in real world. For example, the corresponding product number of a barcode is 7290010237530, also there is a productNo field in desktop containing this value. When we scan the barcode of the real product, we can view its related report generated in desktop.

However, to display barcode format in report view, it is not yet supported now. For details, please have a look at this video.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
muhammadMagdy

it seems it is not supported but what i did as workaround I just used the image control with external source

muhammadMagdy_0-1611224945265.png

then use expression 
="https://api.qrserver.com/v1/create-qr-code/?size=200x200&data="& Fields!yourParamter.value

Thanks for this work around.i was also looking for same. i use the barcode api instead of qrcode 
https://github.com/metafloor/bwip-js/wiki/Online-Barcode-API

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

From official documents, the barcode data category is used to filter report by scanning the barcode in real world. For example, the corresponding product number of a barcode is 7290010237530, also there is a productNo field in desktop containing this value. When we scan the barcode of the real product, we can view its related report generated in desktop.

However, to display barcode format in report view, it is not yet supported now. For details, please have a look at this video.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft ,

I now also want to generate and display barcodes in reports from strings or numbers.
Does Power BI support such features currently ?

Sincere thanks.

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous,

You mean to say, that you want to display digits as barcode.

If it is so,

There is a way.

Change the Data Category for that column to "Barcode" in the Modelling Tab of the Ribbon at the top

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought as well and I did that both in the data view and the report view but the field still shows up as normal digits. Is it only supported by certainl visuals? I tried with a regular Table and a Card, but the same result... I'm probably doing something wrong then I guess. 

@Anonymous,

That's it we have to do to show bar codes.

please check if your barcode matches the formats supported by Power BI as given in the below link

https://pbiwebprod-docs.azurewebsites.net/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-mobile-barcodes/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is clear that the bar code scanner will filter the report based on the filed that has been formatted as bar code - but is it also the case that this field will actually look like a format in the visual report? At least that is not 100% clear to me when I read the instruction. But if you say that the bar code will actually also be seen as a bar code in the report I'm sure it has to do with the format. I'll dig a bit deeper and see if I can try it with something that is certainly within the accepted formats. Thansk!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.