Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JP1983
Helper II
Helper II

banding on measure value

hi i am new to power BI and DAX fucntionalities.I am trying to create banding on measure values and use the banding on slicer.

i followed the steps in https://exceleratorbi.com.au/banding-in-dax/

but created column in the disconnect table created circular dependency but works perfectlt with measure.the issue here is i cant use measure on slicer.

Am i missing anything here ?

Many thanks for your assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The banding technique you have used from my website works on columns of data, not measures. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

The whole point of banding is to do it as a column so you can slice by it. Something is wrong if you are getting circular references. How many columns are you adding?  Can you share more details?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Attacged my banding table

Capture.PNG

the column i tried to create was

"banding = (CALCULATE(values(Bandtable[Band]),filter ( Bandtable,Query1[Claims_Count] > Bandtable[min] && Query1[Claims_Count] <=Bandtable[max] )) ) 

Capture.PNG

to avoid circular reference error i created alias table called "bandtable (2) and referenced to bandtable.In the bandtable(2) i created column and referenced the measure here....but when i added the column i only get the last band 1000

Are you adding the new column in the table Query1?  That is where it belongs

yes i tried and i only get one Capture.PNGbanding 10

when i added into the tabular report i get some incorrect values.attached screenshotCapture.PNG

attached screenshot with both column (banding) and measure (measure) on query 1.Measure works fine but not column 😞Capture.PNG

What data is in the column query1[claims-count]?

claims_count is another calculated measure which count the claims...

Look at the banding measure and column in the screenshot.Capture.PNG

The banding technique you have used from my website works on columns of data, not measures. 

using on column returns one banding not others

I don’t think you understand the issue. The banding technique explained on my website requires a table with a column of numbers. An example is a table of people and their age in the number column. Then you create a banded column next to the numeric age column. That is what the technique does. It sounds like you don’t have a column of numbers, but instead are using a measure to count records. This technique will not work for you. I suggest you creat a summary table that contains the counts you need in a column, and so the banding from there. 

Hello Matt,
can you explain better the process of banding a measure?
Many thanks in advance

Sabi

Hi

I did on another column instead of measure and now it returns "Operation could not be completed due to memory issue" or "reduce the number of queries"

banding = (CALCULATE(values(Bandtable[Band]),filter ( Bandtable,Query1[Claims_Count] > Bandtable[min] && Query1[Claims_Count] <=Bandtable[max] )) )

why the column is showing one banding ...

any way to track what is happening in the background?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.