Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kjpackshootdk
Frequent Visitor

average times a name is in a column per day

Hey

I hope someone can help with this.

We are looking for a way to calculate the average times a name is in a column per day in the last rolling month. I have tried all types of count and some few different samples found on this site, but all those are made to take the sum of something, not the count.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright try the following code:

Measure =
VAR DaysPresent =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( Ark1[Date] );
        Ark1[Change_date]
            >= ( TODAY () - 30 )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Ark1 ); Ark1[Change_date] >= ( TODAY () - 30 ) ) / DaysPresent

In the table you provided it only has a Date/Timestamp column. To calculate how many days the person is present we need a date field. You can add this column either in the Power Query editor by taking the date  from the timestamp or create a calculated column like the following:

Date = LEFT(Ark1[Change_date];10)

And set the column as date.

Kind regards
Joren Venema

Data & Analytics Consultant
If this reply solved your question be sure to mark this post as the solution to help others find the answer more easily. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kjpackshootdk ,

Here is my test data.

2-1.PNG

First, open query editor and add an index column.

2-2.PNG

Then pivot "Column1" and use the count of index as value.

2-3.PNG

Now, you will get a new table and you could calculate the average times for each name easily.

2-4.PNG

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
YJ
Resolver II
Resolver II

HI,

throw in some example and it would be easier. prebably in pbix or excel.

Does the match just need to be a full match or partial match is counted.( example app in apple)

regards

Hey

Thanks for answering, good idea to attach some data! Some sample data is here: https://we.tl/t-YPGTAQMXqH 

I did try this 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Is this what you are trying to achieve based on the data?

0060b89450cb6dbcc4972094eb713173

Put the name on the axis on in the table and use a measure like this one:

Measure =
CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Ark1 ); Ark1[Change_date] >= ( TODAY () - 30 ) ) / 30

It counts the rows in the past 30 days from today and divide it by 30 to get the average per day.

Is this what you are looking for?

Kind regards
Joren Venema

If this reply solved your question be sure to mark this post as the solution to help others find the answer more easily. 

Hey Joren

Thanks for your help!

That is close to what I wanted, but the value doesn't seem to be correct.

The values I get are about 1/3 of what they should be. Can it be that this includes the weekend ?

If you have used all of the sample data I believe there is something wrong. The values you should have had from that should be:

Skærmbillede 2019-10-28 kl. 11.21.39.png

As there is only one day in the sample data, it should just have been the sum.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @kjpackshootdk ,

I kinda miss understood your average context.

At the moment the measure calculates based on all the dates in the previous 30 days. And statically devide it by 30 (days in a month). So yes the weekends are included in this.

The base values of the table you provided:

402479408bf85d67c6f74753053104a7

For me Name 2 returns 22 rows.

If I understand you correctly you want calculate how many times a Name is present in the data set and divide it by the amount of days in the previous 30 days of which name has a occurance?

Yes that is correct. It should only be the days that the name appears 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright try the following code:

Measure =
VAR DaysPresent =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( Ark1[Date] );
        Ark1[Change_date]
            >= ( TODAY () - 30 )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Ark1 ); Ark1[Change_date] >= ( TODAY () - 30 ) ) / DaysPresent

In the table you provided it only has a Date/Timestamp column. To calculate how many days the person is present we need a date field. You can add this column either in the Power Query editor by taking the date  from the timestamp or create a calculated column like the following:

Date = LEFT(Ark1[Change_date];10)

And set the column as date.

Kind regards
Joren Venema

Thank you so much! That was just what did it.

I will work a bit with this and will maybe come back with a few extra questions 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.