Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akkolbeck
Frequent Visitor

automatic export to excel

Does anyone know if there's a way to have data in Power BI Desktop exported out to an excel document automatically (without having to click on the ellipses and select Export Data) on a recurring basis?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
bro10
Frequent Visitor

there is a work around if you are a Premium, PPU user, by creating the table in a separate paginated report and have subscription scheduled to send email with an Excel format attachment 

alexvc
Resolver I
Resolver I

I've managed to do this through the Power BI Excel Add-In. You basically have a pivot table in excel where its data source is the Power BI report itself (with all your columns and measures).

You update this as a regular pivot table and it will pull the data straight from Power BI, you just need to make the pivot table

I’ll try this, thanks!
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

I think you would be able to do this with a Trick using R. Add a new step in edit query with R language. In this step you receive the dataset use for e.g. 

write.csv(dataset, file = "MyData.csv")

Then output the same dataset to continue the steps in edit query. With this, you may be able to generate automatically a .csv file on each update the gateway runs.

Regards,

P/D You must have R installed in order to make the operation.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

But then how will my R script run if I finally publish my report?
Even if I use personal gateway this R script is for output data result in file so there is no source data connection in this case!

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

That is not possible with Power Bi. May be another tool can help you. Check DAX studio for example, but don't think this is posible.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.