Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

auto-refresh in PowerBI workspace with sharepoint data source

Not sure this is the right forum for this issue, but my company uses a workspace where we publish PowerBI projects / dashboards for others to view. 

I have a report that I uploaded to the workspace that uses Sharepoint as its data source. When I tried to schedule an auto-refresh for the report on the workspace, the refresh goes through, but the report ends up with a bunch of errors. What is odd is when I do the refresh from the deskptop applications, I get no errors. I'm using the same authentication method on desktop as I am in the workspace (Oauth2). 

So right now, I have to do a manual refresh in desktop then publish the report to the workspace as a go-around. But I want to get the auto-refresh to work. I think it may have something to do with the sharpeoint login? Help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Jacob

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

Check if the following link helps.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Unable-to-schedule-refresh-with-sharepoint-and-database/td-p/73135

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've done some more investigating after doing the workspace refresh. For background, the project uses 4 lists from sharepoint (Links, Project Info, Stakeholders, and Actions). I have another table I created in PowerBI called "Program Name". 

When I refresh, I see that the visuals that use the "Project Info", "Stakeholders", and "Links" sharepoint lists refresh without issue. It is the "Actions" list that is not refreshing correctly - it just shows up blank. 

Must be an issue with this list then... I'll keep digging in the meantime. 

I have a similar issue.  I have a Power BI file that is using  Excel file on Sharepoint  as data souces. When I refresh the dataset from Power BI desktop, it goes through without any problem but the refresh for the file published on the Power BI service fails with "Edit Credentials" message. 

what is happening? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think that link helps my problem. To be more specific, when I using the workspace in my internet browser and refresh the dataset, the refresh goes through but the data does not show up correctly on the graphs. However, when I refresh the same dataset but do it within the Power BI desktop application, the data reflects what is in the Sharepoint database and everything looks good. 

In the workspace, when I view the Dataset tab for this report, I see under the "Gateway connection" section the following: "You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for enhanced control over how you connect." So perhaps that is not the issue.

Under data source credentials,  I have edited my credentials to OAuth2 authentication method, but whenever I go back to check this again, the dialog box opens up and it shows "Anonymous" as the default sign-in. Does this mean I am not using OAuth2 authentication? 

My suspicion that the issue is somewhere here since again, I can refresh in desktop but not in the online workspace. Perhaps I am wrong though?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.