Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

adavid999
Helper V
Helper V

appending rows to external feed/or create separate table

Hello,

I am working in excel power query and I have odata feed from an external source and would like to add some of my own data to it.

I have my external 'main' data, and a lookup table).

I used 'append query' to add relevant rows to both lookup table and main table - the data model seemed to work, I was seeing the results I expected, but when I tried to save it I received an error message ('Errors were detected while saving...). The file was then corrupted and I had to revert to an earlier version.

My question is - is there a recommended way to combine one's own data with an external feed? I wonder if my attempts to append my data caused the error. Perhaps there is a more efficient way to do this? I.e. by keeping the odata and local data in separate tables? (the reason I didn't do this is a) I'm not sure how and b) I didn't want to have to rewrite 15+ measures)? Please could you let me know if there is anything obvious that comes to mind.

Many thanks,

A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @adavid999 ,

If you encounter this error, you can save your data in a new Excel document or discard the changes and repair the original document, see more from the similar cases:

Error message in Excel: "Errors were detected while saving …"

Fixed: Errors Were Detected While Saving Excel 2020

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@adavid999 , Can you check what is the error and share that

refer how to handle error in power query
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6DPmKqN7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Lag0VOiTs

debug issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6DPmKqN7s

Hi @amitchandak This was the error. I am working in excel power query. the data model does seem to have slowed down/takes a long time to retrieve data/refresh etc.

Capture.PNG

@adavid999 interesting error, can you actually open that file directly in excel without any error?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hello @parry2k I had to close without saving in the end so I don't know. I am trying again.

Hi @adavid999 ,

If you encounter this error, you can save your data in a new Excel document or discard the changes and repair the original document, see more from the similar cases:

Error message in Excel: "Errors were detected while saving …"

Fixed: Errors Were Detected While Saving Excel 2020

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Just to update. I tried the append again and looks like it has worked. The data model has slowed considerably though. If I hit refresh then retrieving data takes an age. I guess this is something to do with combining the external odata (50k rows) with my few rows?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@adavid999 it should work, appending data from multiple sources shouldn't lead to corruption of the file. Can you make sure you have the most recent version of Power BI? there was an issue with July 2020 release and there was new version a few days ago. Cannot think of anything else.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

That gives me a bit of confidence, thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.