Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

erhan_79
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

app.powerbi.com security problem

hi there ;

i would like to get your advices about below issue ;

i have a report which one published to app.powerbi.com.but on the portal app.powerbi.com , in one section users can download pbix. file if they want.(below picture i mentioned with red rectangle) İf there are some secret infos in your report , users can rech that infos easily when tey downlaoded pbix sure .So is there any trick to not show or not download  last users our pbix files ?Cold you pls help about this issue 

thanks in advance 

Capture2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @erhan_79 

Disable export data in admin portal will stop the user to download the pbix file, but will work on users not on reports.

To download the file, you must have edit access to the report. so you could do not give he/she the edit access.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix#considerations-and-t...

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @erhan_79 

Disable export data in admin portal will stop the user to download the pbix file, but will work on users not on reports.

To download the file, you must have edit access to the report. so you could do not give he/she the edit access.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix#considerations-and-t...

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @erhan_79 ,

The only option is to disable "Export data" option under Admin Portal. Turning off this option will prevent the whole organization from Exporting data to Excel/CSV , as well as Downloading PBIX file. The admin portal is accessible to all users who are Global Admins in Office 365 or have been assigned the Power BI service administrator role. 

If you want to specificaly turn-off the option for some users, its best to publish an app, add the report in that app and then share the app with your user. In this way user can access the report in web without the option of downloading pbix and hence keeping your secret infos intact.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @erhan_79 

I would use app to share and restrict the workspace access to only those who can see and download .pbix file.

pranit828_0-1597497975253.png

Create a app using the link on right top of teh workspace.

pranit828_1-1597498031104.png

Did I resolve your issue? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!

Regards,
Pranit

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
Sujit_Thakur
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Dear @erhan_79 

I think there is a way for this .

After publishing app   in new workspace , where only you are available ,  now don't share access to anyone 

But do this first 

All reports and dashboard which are in the app , share to the people you want to share your app with , but here is the catch while sharing single report  it takes your permission that allow user to modify report and underlying data just uncheck that box and share your report. Do this unchecking for all underlying report and dashboard of app 

Then give access to app to the users you shared report with .

I hope this works out for you .

Please appreciate by giving kudos and if it helps please select post as solution so that others get this answer too 

Regards 

Thakur Sujit

Don't forget XMLA endpoint access.

Security by obscurity does not work. If you don't want them to steal your data, don't show them your data.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you might consider to share the content with users using an app.

Everyone assigned to this rules (Admin, Member, Contributor) accessing the workspace will be able to download the pbix file. This will not be possible if you are sharing content using a Power BI app.

It's simply not possible to prevent members downloading a pbix from inside a workspace.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.