Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alisaleh
Helper I
Helper I

ambiguous Relationship using DAX USERELATIONSHIP function

Hi,

I'm new to power bi so sorry if this sounds stupid. I'm working with complex model. I have table lets say called G and it has *:1 relationship with three tables A,B&C. the relationship between A & G is the active one, however B,C are inactive so Im trying to create a measure that filter based on both B & C but if I use the USERELATIONSHIP function on both B & C I get ambigous error which makes sense. The question how I do resolve this issue? Do I have to create two different measures?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@alisaleh 

Can you share a screenshot of the current relationships situation 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
alisaleh
Helper I
Helper I

I understand its ambiguous but I mentioned its a complex model that is very interconnected. The question what do you do if you want to be able to filter G by A,B & C . A will work because is active relationship

@alisaleh 

Deactivate A-B and A-tag_ITR

I tried it but it doesnt help. I still cant use a measure on G with USERELATIONSHIP from B & C.

@alisaleh 

Can you share a screenshot of the current relationships situation 

@tamerj1  Thanks so much for helping me. It was my fault not seeing the overall model because I found another path coming from the the Project to the System and then to the Subsystem and that made me deactictivate relationshipt between project and punchListITem. There is another issue Im facing that I hope you can help me with : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/replacing-blank-with-0-cause-the-filter-not-to-work-correct...

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @alisaleh 
No it doesn't make sense unless there are other tables involved or other relationships between dimentions or both?

Both C & B are dimension tables.

@alisaleh 
You are describing a star schema model where 3 dimentions are connected to one fact table via one to many relationship. If this is the case you should be able to have them all active at the same time with no issue. Would you please share a screenshot fo better understanding.

Not sure if this is what you call Star Schema:

alisaleh_1-1659556652031.png

@alisaleh 

The filter coming from A reaches G throgh 3 different pathes. Even with B and C inactive you model is still ambiguous 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.