Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

crobaseball
Helper II
Helper II

allexcept for circular ref but now can't filter correctly

I'm using CALCULATE in a couple of calculated columns and they created a circular reference.  I found the article explaining the prob and know I need to use ALLEXCEPT to eliminate the reference.  The prob is that ALLEXCEPT is then breaking the filter I'm trying to use.

here are the orig steps i'm trying to take.  If existing in a vacuum, both work fine:

MTDSales = CALCULATE(SUM('03- Raw Data View'[Sessions]), '03- Raw Data View'[IsCurrentMonth] = "Yes")

LstYrMTDSales = CALCULATE(SUM('03- Raw Data View'[Sessions]), '03- Raw Data View'[IsLastYrMonth] = "Yes")

I then tried to change LstYrMTDSales to this:
LstYrMTDSales = CALCULATE(SUM('03- Raw Data View'[Sessions]), '03- Raw Data View'[IsLastYrMonth] = "Yes", ALLEXCEPT('03- Raw Data View','03- Raw Data View'[Date]))
I've tried every single column in this table and the filtered values do not give me the correct sum.  Does anyone have any guidance on what to ALLEXCEPT on to be able to make my filter work correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @crobaseball ,

It is because that the 2 filters conflict.You'd better use below expression:

LstYrMTDSales = CALCULATE(SUM('03- Raw Data View'[Sessions]),FILTER(ALL('03- Raw Data View'), '03- Raw Data View'[IsLastYrMonth] = "Yes"&&'03- Raw Data View'[Date]=MAX('03- Raw Data View'[Date])))

Or you could use below expression with "Allexcept":

LstYrMTDSales = CALCULATE(SUM('03- Raw Data View'[Sessions]), ALLEXCEPT('03- Raw Data View','03- Raw Data View'[Date],'03- Raw Data View'[IsLastYrMonth]))

Then add a slicer and choose '03- Raw Data View'[IsLastYrMonth]="Yes":

v-kelly-msft_0-1619427859319.png

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @crobaseball ,

It is because that the 2 filters conflict.You'd better use below expression:

LstYrMTDSales = CALCULATE(SUM('03- Raw Data View'[Sessions]),FILTER(ALL('03- Raw Data View'), '03- Raw Data View'[IsLastYrMonth] = "Yes"&&'03- Raw Data View'[Date]=MAX('03- Raw Data View'[Date])))

Or you could use below expression with "Allexcept":

LstYrMTDSales = CALCULATE(SUM('03- Raw Data View'[Sessions]), ALLEXCEPT('03- Raw Data View','03- Raw Data View'[Date],'03- Raw Data View'[IsLastYrMonth]))

Then add a slicer and choose '03- Raw Data View'[IsLastYrMonth]="Yes":

v-kelly-msft_0-1619427859319.png

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

What I realized is that I was doing a calculated column and should have been using a measure, which eliminates the circular reference.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.