Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jessewysong
Helper III
Helper III

all partitions in the Full DataView must have the same source in direct query mode

Hello,

I have a working report with 4 views from an on premises SQL database. Recently I attempted to add another view and I get the following error when trying to save and apply my query. I double checked my settings in source in the query editor and all 5 are pulling from the same database. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

error.JPG

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't know if you got notified of my post and response, but in my case it was down to capitalisation of the server name and database.  If I use upper case the first time I add a table, then lower case when I add another, that's when I get the error (the database is named in upper case).  However, if I use lower case the first time, it's absolutely fine, but I have to use lower case when I add another table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone come up with a solution to this yet?  I am getting the same problem.  All I am trying to do is add in another table from the same database.  This is really frustrating.

I saw the same error message in my PBIX today and i had to change the db name from lower case to upper case to make it consistent with other source strings. that fixed the problem. 

Hello 

same error message happened to a pbix I was working on . the only difference i found between sources of queries was db name was writting in smaller case which i had to change to upper case to make it consistent with other sources. that  fixed the problem

Hi,

There is a workaround to avoid the error.

Edit the query

and duplicate the existing table and rename the table (to exactly the same name which is in the database) and open the advanced editor and replace the old view name to new view name.

This worked in my case.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response, I just worked out what the issue was.  Believe it or not, it was capitalisation of the database.  If I use all lower case (and the database is named in upper case) it works just fine.  However, if I create the first table and use upper case for the database name, then try and add another table and use lower case, that's when I get the error...........

jb203
Regular Visitor

I was having the same issue, but was able to get around this by going to Edit Queries, right clicking on one of my previous working queries, then selecting 'Duplicate'.  Then in the new duplicated query, i would make the necessary changes to point to the new table / view.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi jessewysong,

Could you please paste source code(which you can check in View->Advance Query Editor) of each query in this forum so that we can better analysis this problem?

When adding another view, please ensure that you specify server name with same format, same database name(case sensitive) as other views, otherwise Power BI would recognize that it comes from a different data source.

There is a similar thread for your reference.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Changing-a-Direct-Query-Power-BI-Model-without-Importing-all...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I have the the same problem. 2 tables, same database. Here are my 2 queries:

let
    Source = Sql.Database("wgperform.database.windows.net", "wgperform"),
    dbo_OEE = Source{[Schema="dbo",Item="OEE"]}[Data]
in
    dbo_OEE

and

let
    Source = Sql.Database("wgperform.database.windows.net", "wgperform"),
    dbo_UriFriendlyName = Source{[Schema="dbo",Item="UriFriendlyName"]}[Data]
in
    dbo_UriFriendlyName

What is wrong?

The result of this bug(?) is that I need to recreate my reports everytime I want to add another table from my database.

This is really annoying!

Adding a additional view via query editor gives this message . What am I doing wrong?

Capture.PNG

Any news on this? I have the same issue.

New version of PowerBi seemed to have resolved the issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope.  Still happening.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.