Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
narchans4u Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

aggregate the data to the month/quarter level

Hi,

I have a dataset which has rows at day level(one row for one day) - and thus my power bi workbook is of ~1GB (i have imported data from DB). Is it possible to aggregate the data to the month/quarter level so that I can reduce my the size of the power bi workbook? With tableau background - when I try to extract data of tableau workbook i have an option to define the granularity - by aggregating the data for visible dimensions(roll up dates to: year/qtr/month). Is there any option in PBI similar to this?

Much thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dearwatson Member

Re: aggregate the data to the month/quarter level

The Query editor has a Group By function to roll up rows to other levels of granularity if you need it...

I would add a new column which gets the start of the month (New Column -> Date-> Start of Month) then group by that column as required.

I think that should do it.

Cheers

Greg

"The commonality between science and art is in trying to see profoundly - to develop strategies of seeing and showing." - Edward Tufte
5 REPLIES 5
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to aggregate the data to the required granularity?

Hi,

I have a dataset which has rows at day level(one row for one day) - and thus my power bi workbook is of ~1GB. Is it possible to aggregate the data to the month/quarter level so that I can reduce my the size of the power bi workbook?

With tableau background - when I try to extract data of tableau workbook i have an option to define the granularity - by aggregating the data for visible dimensions(roll up dates to: year/qtr/month).

Is there any option in PBI similar to this?

Much thanks.

dearwatson Member

The Query editor has a Group By function to roll up rows to other levels of granularity if you need it...

I would add a new column which gets the start of the month (New Column -> Date-> Start of Month) then group by that column as required.

I think that should do it.

Cheers

Greg

"The commonality between science and art is in trying to see profoundly - to develop strategies of seeing and showing." - Edward Tufte
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply. Is this going to reduce the over all size of the PBI workbook? I am trying hands on now.

Frequent Visitor

This worked. Thank you.

bahar1 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi guys,

Quick question. Can you let me know how I can use the same method if I have different years? 

If I group by on month level I use the year information. Is there any way to group by on Month&Year level.

many thanks,

Bahar