Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

narchans4u
Frequent Visitor

aggregate the data to the month/quarter level

Hi,

I have a dataset which has rows at day level(one row for one day) - and thus my power bi workbook is of ~1GB (i have imported data from DB). Is it possible to aggregate the data to the month/quarter level so that I can reduce my the size of the power bi workbook? With tableau background - when I try to extract data of tableau workbook i have an option to define the granularity - by aggregating the data for visible dimensions(roll up dates to: year/qtr/month). Is there any option in PBI similar to this?

Much thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dearwatson
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

The Query editor has a Group By function to roll up rows to other levels of granularity if you need it...

I would add a new column which gets the start of the month (New Column -> Date-> Start of Month) then group by that column as required.

I think that should do it.

Cheers

Greg

"The commonality between science and art is in trying to see profoundly - to develop strategies of seeing and showing." - Edward Tufte

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dearwatson
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

The Query editor has a Group By function to roll up rows to other levels of granularity if you need it...

I would add a new column which gets the start of the month (New Column -> Date-> Start of Month) then group by that column as required.

I think that should do it.

Cheers

Greg

"The commonality between science and art is in trying to see profoundly - to develop strategies of seeing and showing." - Edward Tufte

This worked. Thank you.

Hi guys,

Quick question. Can you let me know how I can use the same method if I have different years? 

If I group by on month level I use the year information. Is there any way to group by on Month&Year level.

many thanks,

Bahar

Hi,

I have a dataset which has rows at day level(one row for one day) - and thus my power bi workbook is of ~1GB. Is it possible to aggregate the data to the month/quarter level so that I can reduce my the size of the power bi workbook?

With tableau background - when I try to extract data of tableau workbook i have an option to define the granularity - by aggregating the data for visible dimensions(roll up dates to: year/qtr/month).

Is there any option in PBI similar to this?

Much thanks.

Thanks for your reply. Is this going to reduce the over all size of the PBI workbook? I am trying hands on now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.