Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

christianfcbmx
Post Patron
Post Patron

advantages and disadvantages of using visual objetcs from the market place?

Hi Community, 

I work freelance sometimes and I built a big report using some visual objetc from the market place ( Card Browser for example ) which is very nice by yhe way. 

I need to know if it is secure to use visual objets from there in 2 aspects (specially those which doesnt say "Power bi certified"):

1.- Security of data (could the developers have acces to the data Im using through their visual objetcs?)

2.- Visual object Reliability (experiment failures up to power bi updates or any other case) because if one of those visual objects I´ve used fail over my client reports, I guess there wont be nobody to complain.

Any information, or links where I could read about this would be so much appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Security of Data:

Yes, it's possible that a custom visual which is not Power BI Certified could be sending data somewhere else.  You can check to see if one of the things they do is send data to an external source, and then choose to only use un-certified visuals which don't do that.

But, simply put, the safest method of safeguarding sensitive data is going to be avoid custom visuals which are not certified.

Reliability:

I don't have a definitive answer on this for you, but I've found 2 strong hints which indicate to me that custom visuals should not be considered entirely reliable.

First, Microsoft has guidelines for visuals that discuss what changes should and should not be made, but these seem to be recommendations rather than requirements.

Second, as the API is updated older versions are deprecated.  And, it seems like any custom visuals based on a version of the API which is going to be deprecated must be updated, or they're removed.  I'm not sure what the exact process is there, though.

Thank you for the answer... lets wait what a super user or contributor could say about this. I really need to be so clair about it.

see ya

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.