Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

adding new column to excel data source

hi all
my original excel data source has column A,B,C and it working fine in dashboard.

when i added a new column "D" to the excel data source and refresh doesnt update it.

did i missed out anything?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

7 REPLIES 7
Seban

I was facing the same problem. The issue was i had removed all the other columns except the selected column in Power Query. Check whether you have removed other columns in applied steps. If you have that jus remove that and you can see all the columns in source file. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Please refer this

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-Bi-does-not-detect-newly-added-columns-to-connected-c...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Add-a-new-column-to-the-existing-data-set-and-refresh/td-p/...

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Does the new column appear in the query editor when refreshed?

The best way to handle Excel data sources IMHO is to create tables within excel (selecting the whole range and use ctrl + t to create the table and giving it a name). You then use this table itself as the source in Power BI. If you add columns or rows to the table, you will be sure Power BI picks them up efficiently.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has literally saved me so much time and frusteration. Thank you!

"The best way to handle Excel data sources IMHO is to create tables within excel (selecting the whole range and use ctrl + t to create the table and giving it a name). You then use this table itself as the source in Power BI. If you add columns or rows to the table, you will be sure Power BI picks them up efficiently."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm assuming this won't work if you already had a report built out with the xcel file in regular spreadsheet form then want to add columns and change it to a "table" format, right?

I don't think that would work. I would first convert it to a table, change the code for the source in the query (the easiest way is to create a new query pointing to the table and then copy/ pasting the source code into the original query. Then add columns.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulDBrown no...the column didnt appear when refresh in edit queries...

Rows did get refreshed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.