Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

add custom column by comparing values in another table

Hi All,

I have two tables(A, B). 

Table A

Task idTitleCreated Date
1Title 113-05-2020
2Title 210-02-2020
3Title 323-03-2020
4Title 413-12-2019
5Title 510-04-2020

Table B:

Start DateEnd dateIteration Number
01-12-201931-12-20191
01-01-202031-01-20202
01-02-202029-02-20203
01-03-202031-03-20204
01-04-202030-04-20205
01-05-202031-05-20206

And the result table should be:

Task idTitleCreated DateIteration Number
1Title 113-05-20206
2Title 210-02-20203
3Title 323-03-20204
4Title 413-12-20191
5Title 510-04-20205

I want to add a column into table A which should be Iteration Number by comparing Created Date in between Start Date and End date.

I tried by merging two tables, appending it, adding a conditional column, custom column but nothing worked as expected.

I need a suggestion on how to handle this.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , new column in table A. Add conditions if needed

New column in Table A = minx(filter(TableB, TableB[StartDate]<= TableA[Created date] && TableB[End Date]>= TableA[Created date]),TableB[Iteration Number])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @amitchandak for the response. I'm new to PowerBI. When I try to add the formula you gave in the Custom Column window, I'm not getting the Table B column[StartDate/EndDate].

Any idea?

@Anonymous , Are you doing it in power query/edit query mode or new column in data mode.

Column name you can let power BI auto-suggest, keep on typing formula

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak I'm doing it in power query editor mode. I'm not getting the power BI suggestion for Table B column name. and I get the Token Literal Expected error when I add the column name manually.

image.png

@Anonymous, I suggested a Dax column, So if this can help in case of power Query

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @amitchandak I have tried with merge and append but that's not solving my purpose. 

I'm checking how to add Dax column. will try with your solution once I know how to add Dax column.

Thanks!!

@Anonymous did you tested the expression I provided, as mentioned, make sure change table and column name as per your model, we have used dummy table and column name to provide the solution, you have to change it as per your pbix.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous add the following column in your Task table

Iteration = 
VAR __createdDate = Tasks[Created Date]
RETURN
CALCULATE ( MAX ( Iteration[Iternation] ), __createdDate >= Iteration[Start], __createdDate <= Iteration[End] )

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.