Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

add User to RLS in workspace, slows down the app to a crawl

We are experiencing an interesting issue with RLS.  

When we add (or delete) a user to one of our RLS groups and hit save we get a spinning when next to the save.  And it spins forever.  

IN the meantime if someone tries to go into the related application it takes forever to load.  So a normal app that would open in a few seconds takes 10+ minutes to open or filter on anything.  

We have several hundred users in our various RLS groups. Is there a limitation to how RLS works?  I found this article where a person mentions it caching for each user but the document they linked to no longer exists.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/RLS-slowness/m-p/702763 

Would a dynamic RLS be something that could optimize this issue better?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lionel-msft  it appears to be a known issue (bug) by Microsoft.  They stated on their support page that if you turn your workspace off of premium you can then add people and then turn it back on.  

The support page says they expect a fix by 2/20/2020

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Sorry my question was more on what DAX expression is used for RLS

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k  data model is less than a gig big.  

It runs fine when users login and if you do a performance analyzer on the data model on your desktop while viewing as a group.  

However, it basically locks up if we try to add or delete a user from the security group online.  

Hi @Anonymous ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1613116560163.png

Is it slow when adding members? How long does it take when you log in to Power BI Service? What is the response speed when you perform other operations on Power BI Service? It sounds more like the slow response speed of the cloud server of Power BI Service.

The impact of RLS on performance is mainly reflected in the following aspects, which seem to be inconsistent with your situation.

Optimize RLS 

Performance Issues when to many RLSs are defined 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lionel-msft  it appears to be a known issue (bug) by Microsoft.  They stated on their support page that if you turn your workspace off of premium you can then add people and then turn it back on.  

The support page says they expect a fix by 2/20/2020

Seems to still be a problem. But will try turning it off and on again..

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous depends on the model, yes RLS can have a performance impact.

How big is your data mode? What logic you have put to implement RLS?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k 

Our dax is very simple.  Something like "SalesGroupID = "39383"  In the dimension for sales group.  Thus restricting that group to that salesgroupID

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors