Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gcurtis2
Regular Visitor

active directory user information import to Power BI"

I am trying to pull user information into Power BI from Azure Active Directory.  I  am using the Power BI adaptor query to connect to Active Directory.  I basically want to get all of the information about a user that is on the AAD Admin Center window.  I can find a few fields (given name, email address) but cannot find many others (surname, job title, phone #, department, manager)  

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to AAD table structures and naming conventions, so any help / advice in plain english and details would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @gcurtis2 ,

Thanks for your reply. There is indeed a lot of data on AAD, and Power BI has a limit on the number of rows when importing data. If the limit is exceeded, not all data will be imported successfully. You can select the items you need to export in the "Columns" option. As shown below.

v-yuaj-msft_0-1617783743234.png

If you want to connect to AD as a data source, you can directly enter the domain name with the VPN turned off (if you are using a VPN).

The premise is that you need to have enough data to proceed with the next step of data processing and analysis.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gcurtis2 ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem.

Best Regards,

Yuna

Hi Yuna, and thank you for hanging in there with me.  

So yes, I want to connect to AD as a data source.  And I have done this step.  The question I have is trying to figure out the AD data model to find the fields that I want to pull into Power BI. I've started with the "user" table, then person.    Ideally, I want to be able to identify each AD data field that contains the information for each column of the "Download Users" function in the AD Admin windows.  

gcurtis2
Regular Visitor

Hi Yuna and Thank you for your reply.  I may have inadvertantly confused my questions with using AAD and AD interchangeably.  There is a report in the Azure Active Directory Admin Center for users.  In the Users Management window, under Bulk Operations menu, you can select an option to "Download Users"  The resulting spreadsheet I can load into Power BI as an Excel data source.

What I am trying to do is go to Active Directory directly from Power BI to pull in that list of users.  I found the Power BI adapter to connect to Active Directory, but I am having difficulting identifying all of the data fiels that are in the "Download Users" report from the Azure Active Directory Admin Center.

Hi @gcurtis2 ,

Thanks for your reply. There is indeed a lot of data on AAD, and Power BI has a limit on the number of rows when importing data. If the limit is exceeded, not all data will be imported successfully. You can select the items you need to export in the "Columns" option. As shown below.

v-yuaj-msft_0-1617783743234.png

If you want to connect to AD as a data source, you can directly enter the domain name with the VPN turned off (if you are using a VPN).

The premise is that you need to have enough data to proceed with the next step of data processing and analysis.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gcurtis2 ,

Sorry for that it's not very clear. I doubt whether the function you mentioned is supported by Power BI. Are there any imported AD user tables and AAD user tables in your report? If so, on what basis do you match the same user in the two tables? user name? Or what? The architecture of AD and AAD is actually somewhat different.

Best Regards,

Yuna

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.