Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zip codes from database do not map

Hi,

We have several databases with US zip codes and none of these map in power BI.  However, if I export the data from the database into an excel file and put it in a table, then the zip codes will map in Power BI.  Does anyone have any guesses why this is?

When I connect to the db, I:

1.  import the data and ensure that the zip code field is set to 'Postal Code'

2.  I even renamed it Zipcode and Postal Code due to some comments that I found online.

3.  The map then only shows New Hampshire and Massachusetts zip codes. 

We obviously need to link to the database for a number of reasons so can anyone tell me what the issue is?

Thank you in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
gggggorman

Hey all,

I was able to get the zipcode list to work in my visualization by using the advance editor and changing the zipcode data type to "text".  Hope this helps.

Geoff

I was also able to get this to work by changing FROM Postal Code TO Uncategorized...completely backwards but worked.

hi,

I have a list of zip codes for Travis County Texas...

esri doesn't recognize 30 of the zip codes..

i am able to map all the other

why is this?

and yes, they are text.. 

thanks.

Robin

The ones that don't map are they 5 digit or the 9 digit.  I found on my ESRI map the 9 digit codes are not mapping.  That is what brought me here looking for an answer.  This might help narrow the scope of your problem.

Eric

4Eric
Frequent Visitor

Did some testing with other visuals and found that 9 digit zip codes wouldn't work.  Went into my data made all zip code entries 5 digits.  Now all entries map and the totals based zip code are correct.  Not sure when this became a problem for me, but I am on the Jan. version.  I hope this helps someone...  

Eric

JCLink8888
Helper I
Helper I

I am having the exact same issue, and nothing seems to work.

I have set my Postal Code column as text, but it still imports to BI without the lead 0.

I've even done a Concatenate 0 + postal code as text, and it still won't import properly.

Modeling the column to Postal Code also is not fixing it.

Creating a heirarchy with either the State, Country, or both also is not fixing the problem.

I am super curious what the solution is.

Also having issues here. 

Truncating leading zeros and does not like alpha-numeric postal codes from Canada

CarolineA19
Regular Visitor

I am receiving an error when attempting to load zipcodes using the Filled Map. The error states:

Too many values

Too many 'Postal Code' values.  Not displaying all data. Filter data or choose another field

I receive this error when loading from a database or an Excel file.  The Excel file only has approximately 43,000 rows.

jordanlevine
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here. I have a report that I built a while ago> I just went in after I downloaded the January update and the ZIP Code map I had in there no longer renders any data. I switched ZIP out for County and my data renders on the map, it is only when I use ZIP that it fails to render. Seems to be a bug in the latest release.

I have the same issue.  My geo data rendered fine earlier this week.  But after the update I installed 5 minutes ago, the zipcode data would not show in the map viz.  It seems like it's just the zip that is affected.  City and state work.

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@Anonymous Many a times zipcodes, latitude/longitude, city, states and country only maps data if that matches with those available in Bing map as Power BI uses Bing map. So see the proper format and name if that can be mapped in Bing then it should definitely work in Power BI. Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply,

How do I ensure this?  I already have the 5 digit zip codes set to 'Text' data type and "Postal Code" under the modeling tab...is there something else that I should be doing?  The odd part is that only a handful of zip codes in the Northeastern US map but nothing else in the entire US....This is something that is crucial.

Thank you,

Curious if you were able to resolve your issue.  I'm having the exact same problem.

The zip codes might also exist in other coutries. Have you tried combining the zip code with country code like

DE-35260 (where DE is the ISO country code for Germany)?

Best regards (from Germany) 🙂

Dominik.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘

For US zip codes, whole number works for plotting with the appropriate data category.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.