Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

learnedfool

Zip code bubble map -- merge bubbles

I'm mapping inventory as count of widgets per zip code. Right now I have many bubbles across the map, each bubble representing a  zip code's # of widgets. Is there functionality in Power Bi to combine and scale bubbles based on geographic proximity? E.g. combine several zip codes in each area and create a larger weighted bubble? 

Example: Widgets by zip code in San Francisco Bay Area

Current state: Hundreds of zip based bubbles on the map

Desired state: Aproximately 10 larger agreggate bubbles combining a dozen or more local zip codes.

Or would the only way to do that be changing the source data and creating an agreggate of zip code counts? I also have city and state data, but city is too granular still and state is not specific enough. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@learnedfool

You can create a calculated column or "new group" on city column for your "Area".

23.PNG

24.PNG

Then put this Area field into your geography hierarchy as well.

Regards, 

Thanks for the suggestion! So it's a matter of manually aggregating (grouping) cities, which I could also do by including an additional field in the data such as "subregion" or similar". I was asking if there's a way to automatically merge based on geographic proximity, clustering similar locations together (particularly as you zoom out on the map view). It appears this is not current functionality available.

This functionality needs to be added. Bubbles should merge and separate based on the zoom level of the map. The typical zoomed out map of the US is not as useful as it could be.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.