Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MWalje
Advocate I
Advocate I

Zip Code Mapping Issue

When mapping data against zip codes in either the filled or the map function zip codes from the East Coast, which are prone to start with "0s" map in other countries, in particular in Europe and in Aus. This is obviously problematic. I have had no luck filtering the data or forcing it into the appropriate map by linking the data with country codes or states either. This is a fairly significant issue and severly limits the usefulness of the product. 

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MWalje,

Does the data point display incorrectly in the map visual? Can you share the sample .pbix file with us to indicate the issue? You can take a look at this article to see if it works: Tips and Tricks for Power BI Map visualizations.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, it displays incorrectly. It mistakenly maps zipcodes starting with "0s" to other countries. There is also an issue with Puerto Rico, which when abreviated as PR, is mapped to Peru when using State abbreviations as the location variable. I will try to build a sample .pbix file to show this. But it happens literally every single time I create any dashboard. Even when formatting the zipcode as a zipcode in Excel, and then formatting the query to recognize the zipcode as text in PowerBI, it is quite obnoxious. The only fix I have found for the Puerto Rico issue is to Find/Replace "PR" with Puerto Rico, even when every other "state" is listed by it's two letter abbreviation such as "KS". 

Hi @MWalje,

As you can see from the article shared in my previous post,

"When working with countries or regions, use the three-letter abbreviation to ensure that geocoding works properly in map visualizations. Do not use two-letter abbreviations, as some countries or regions may not be properly recognized.

If you only have two-letter abbreviations, check out this external blog post for steps on how to associate your two-letter country/region abbreviations with three-letter country/region abbreviations."

It's not suggested to use two-letter abbreviations as it's misleading. Please review this article and find the best way to locate the point in the map visual.

You can also share the sample data which used to created a map visual have the issue, we can try to give some suggestions about this specific scenario.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

do you have a field named 'country' (with the correct info in it) in the same data set?

my experience is that if that exists then the PBI recognizes things correctly.....as the same zip does exist in various places around the globe

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.