Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JordanPearson
Helper II
Helper II

Zendesk (Beta) - Bypassing the 1K row API limits

Hi all, 

I'm aware that the Zendesk (beta) integration within Power BI is limited on Zendesks side to only pull through 1,000 rows at a maximum. If you try to pull data from an object with more than 1K rows (Which is all of our objects), it will throw an error:

DataSource.Error: Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'https://*Company*.zendesk.com/api/v2/search.json?page=11&query=type%3Aorganization' (422): Unprocessable Entity

I've looked at this in so many different ways to see if I can bypass the 1K row limit, however nothing seems to work.

For example I've tried bringing in multiple queries from the same object, each looking at specific date ranges, organisations, top 1K rows, bottom 1K rows, etc, and then appending them together, however it still receive the error message.

My initial thoughts are because it's an API limitation, and it's only allowing PBI to pull throw the first 1K rows, that even if the data is filtered via query editor, it will still only pull through data from the first 1,000, and nothing beyond. 

Is there any methods I can use to get around this? Our support teams work heavily within these systems and are looking for additional reporting, but at this point I'm unable to use Power BI for any of this kind of reporting.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ltopchyi
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @JordanPearson 

The custom Zendesk Power BI connector addon has overcome these isssues. You can try it for free for 14 days to check if it wirks for you: https://www.zendesk.com/marketplace/apps/support/834457/power-bi-connector-by-alpha-serve/

Liubov

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ltopchyi
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @JordanPearson 

The custom Zendesk Power BI connector addon has overcome these isssues. You can try it for free for 14 days to check if it wirks for you: https://www.zendesk.com/marketplace/apps/support/834457/power-bi-connector-by-alpha-serve/

Liubov

Hi Liubov

A huge thank you for sharing this!

We've actually been using alpha serves JIRA to PBI connector recently (which has worked a treat), and had no idea that they had a Zendesk version too! 

Do you know whether the integration bypasses the 2K row API limit set by Zendesk? I can't see an API limit mentioned on the documentation, but a good one to check nevertheless.

Thanks,

Jordan

Harry33
Helper I
Helper I

I can recommend a third-party tool that allows you to load data from Zendesk to Power BI — Skyvia. This no-coding solution provides integration through a database or cloud data warehouse with automatic schema creation. Then you can connect Power BI to this database or data warehouse easily.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have started a post compiling Power Query code for a custom connector to zendesk.  With the intention to bypass this very issue. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Custom-Zendesk-Connector-Power-Query-Code/td-p/2407620

JordanPearson
Helper II
Helper II

Hi all, 

I'm aware that the Zendesk (beta) integration within Power BI is limited on Zendesks side to only pull through 1,000 rows at a maximum. If you try to pull data from an object with more than 1K rows (Which is all of our objects), it will throw an error.

I've looked at this in so many different ways to see if I can bypass the 1K row limit, however nothing seems to work.

For example I've tried bringing in multiple queries from the same object, each looking at specific date ranges, organisations, top 1K rows, bottom 1K rows, etc, and then appending them together, however it still receive the error message.

My initial thoughts are because it's an API limitation, and it's only allowing PBI to pull throw the first 1K rows, that even if the data is filtered via query editor, it will still only pull through data from the first 1,000, and nothing beyond. 

Is there any methods I can use to get around this? Our support teams work heavily within these systems and are looking for additional reporting, but at this point I'm unable to use Power BI for any of this kind of reporting.

Thanks

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @JordanPearson 

Reading the Zendesk API documentation, I don't think you can bypass the 1000 row limit.  It's a limit imposed by the API.  That being the case it seems odd that the PBI connector would try to load more than 1000 rows, hence causing this error?

If I was writing this API connection by hand I'd use pagination to get 1000 rows per API request by using something like List.Transform

Pagination - Support API - Zendesk Developer Portal

This would require you to know how many rows total there are, and therefore calculate the number of requests to make. 

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Philip,

Thank you very much for this response - It's definitely an odd one. From my knowledge, Power BI attempts to pull through more than 1K rows when attempting to connect via the Zendesk integration, and if I was to look at the dataset, it will show you 1,000 rows, and then the 1000th row is then a row of errors - alongside a message advising that it's unable to process the webquery. 

Cheers for linking me some info on API calls / pagination. I've never had to use API calls to connect to a datasource before, but it looks like paginating it like this could get me to where I need to be. 

Is this something I can do within the PBI desktop programme itself, or would I need additional programmes to submit API calls / paginate the results?

You can do the pagination in Power Query. Search this forum for API pagination examples.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

are you sure this is a Power BI issue? Do you get more rows when you access the Zendesk data from Excel?

Hi there, 

It's not really a Power BI issue, it's a limit set on Zendesks side unfortunately. However Power BI does try to pull through more than 1,000 rows, so I would like to assume theres a workaround somewhere that can ignore the 1K limit Zendesk API's have imposed. 

Hi @JordanPearson , How did you manage to solve this problem? With me this influence is the same, but it would not be Zendesk? Could you help me?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.