Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

raymond
Post Patron
Post Patron

Your Best Practice for calculating goals and goal achievment

Hello Community,

I would like to know how you guys approach the topic of goal achievement calculation.

Suppose I receive a report with Impressions on a daily basis and the company has an Impression Goal. They will reach at least 150.000 Impressions a month. The management would then only like to know to which degree this goal is fullfillt or not (goal achievement). 

2018-09-03 10_42_35-!Evalanche-Overview - Excel.png

Currenty I create the goal value (here 150.000) and the goal achievement (simple ratio of the daily sum and the goal) with a measure. But since I am creating lots of management dashboards with many KPI and such numbers, it results in many measures as well - hence I was wondering if there might be a nicer way a best practice to it. 

I am looking forward to you share your ideas with me.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@raymond,

Measure is more appropriate in your scenario as calculated columns will not react to slicer selections. See this KB.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@raymond,

How about you create the following columns instead.

Month = MONTH(Table1[Date])
Impressions Goal per Month = 150000
Goal Achievement = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Impressions on a daily basis]),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[Month]))/ CALCULATE(max(Table1[Impressions Goal per Month]),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[Month]))

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, looks neat. Would you say that one method has some advantages? Also in regards to performance maybe.

@raymond,

Please take a look at the following blog and similar thread.

http://radacad.com/measure-vs-calculated-column-the-mysterious-question-not
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/column-vs-measure/td-p/13201

Regards,
Lydia

Thanks Lydia,

regarding your example. How would you change the scenario if I want to take month and year into account? Would you instead of month create a yearMonth number and put it into the equation.

@raymond,

Yes. You can create a column using DAX below, then replace Month field in the goal achievement column with YearMonth column.

YearMonth=FORMAT(Table[date],"YYYY-MMM")

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft: as I am reading through the articles I wonder whether a calculated column for monthly goal is the right tool to choose. Is there really a row by row relation in such data? Which method would you prefer between the two?

@raymond,

It depends on your requirement. Do you want to add the newly created measures in slicer? Or do you want to make the new measures respond to slicer? How many rows in your table? 

Regards,
Lydia

The first priority is to have it react to slicers. It is not a business case where I need to put it in a slicer yet. The tables are usually large. Am I assuming right, if a measure would be more appropriate?

@raymond,

Measure is more appropriate in your scenario as calculated columns will not react to slicer selections. See this KB.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors