Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Katerina_e
Frequent Visitor

YoY / MoM / QoQ % change calculation

Hello, everybody!

I think I need to calculate a very typical measure, and I get plenty of options on web, but nothing seems to work so far.

I need to calculate YoY, MoM, QoQ % changes of sales. So I have a column DATE with an exact date of a sales order and SALES with a corresponding amount of sales. What I want to get is a table with a hierarchy of dates and sales growth in %.

PREVIOUSYEAR does not seem to work because I have a hierarchy there and I put DATE field in the table. Many other options give me blank values. 

Please help 😃

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

here you will find a pbix file

This file contains a report page "MOM", here you will find a matrix visul that contains a measure (table: FactWithDates) called MOM Growth:

MOM Growth = 
DIVIDE((CALCULATE(SUM(FactWithDates[Amount]))-CALCULATE(SUM(FactWithDates[Amount]),DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
,(CALCULATE(SUM(FactWithDates[Amount]),DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,MONTH))),BLANK())*100

Maybe this provides what you are looking for.

Hope this helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi,

I did calculate the percentage increase by month (mom%), but the increased and decreseaed percentages are displayed in current column which should have been the next

for example:

jan 50

feb 100

got:

jan      feb

100%

exepected

jan             feb

anyvalue   100%

measure:

Fare/Subsidy MoM% =
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Query1'[TripTime]),
    ERROR("Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column."),
    VAR __PREV_MONTH =
        CALCULATE(
            SUM('Query1'[Fare/Subsidy]),
            DATEADD('Query1'[TripTime].[Date], -1, MONTH)
        )
    RETURN
        DIVIDE(SUM('Query1'[Fare/Subsidy]) - __PREV_MONTH, __PREV_MONTH)
)

Thanks
Abhilash

Hello @TomMartens , thanks for your answer, but the file you have linked doesn't exist anymore. I have a similar problem and wanted to check out the matrix visual.

I have created a measure (Delta) to calculate YOY absolute value. But when I put it in a matrix, the measure is repeated. Did you have this issue in your matrix visual?

Capture1.PNG

Delta = calculate(sum(Table1[Sales]),Table1[Year]="2018")-calculate(sum(Table1[Sales]),Table1[Year]="2017") 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.