Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yet another cardinality issue (one to many)

I'm new to Power BI, but not to cardinality. I've been trying to link two tables, which are both a dump from our database. Table 1 has a field which is BY DEFINITION unique. It can not contain duplicates, because our system refuses that.

The other table can have zero, one or multiple rows for the same item.

So it is a clear case of 1-to-many.

Yet, PBI keeps forcing me to use a many-to-many relationship. I've tried making my own table with less data, that worked fine. But on the real data...nothing....

why?

Is it because table B has some fields which contain no data (for instance "end date" isn't always applicable -yet-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Can't filter the NULL value in Power Query Edit in Table 1? I don't think this value will be used in your fact table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Normally, Power BI Desktop can automatically determine the best cardinality for the relationship. If you do need to override the automatic setting, because you know the data will change in the future, you can chagne it with the Cardinality control.

You can manage how Power BI treats and automatically adjusts relationships in your reports and models. To specify how Power BI handles relationships options, select File > Options and settings > Options from Power BI Desktop

b1.png

For further information, please refer to the document .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well...

it DID automatically decide on the cardinality. BI says its n-to-n. But it isn't. However, it refuses to accept any other cardinality.

Based on earlier replies, and some pondering over the weekend, could it be that some cells (in other rows) are empty, standing in the way of the analysis? Would it be solved if I just typed "empty" in each of them?

@Anonymous ,

would be helpful if you could uploade a dataset that occurs the issue. then would be able to investigate why it would not allow you to create one to many relationship as you expected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm afraid I can't do that...confidentiality and such...

is there a list of requirements to which data has to comply in order to BI to work properly?

Can't filter the NULL value in Power Query Edit in Table 1? I don't think this value will be used in your fact table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @Anonymous 

"Table 1 has a field which is BY DEFINITION unique".

This Table 1 has to be Primary(Unique and Not NULL column)

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, right...

Said value is indeed unique and cannot be null (indeed). Our system won't make a row otherwise.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , 1 side table should not have any duplicate key column. Also, it can not have a null value too.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.