Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pledington
Frequent Visitor

Year to date with slicer

Hi, I'm new to Power BI and hope someone can help me with a problem I have calculating a Year to Date value. I get the correct number sometimes but some dates I select in my slicer I get the wrong answer.

Our Financial year is 31st March, I'm trying to create a table that has our year to date sale number based on a date selection from a slicer, if I choose any date up to Jul-17 I'm getting the right answer but After that e.g. Aug-17 I get a smaller number than Jul-17, not bigger. I think it's because of the filter on the slicer and tried to use the All function but it doesn't like it.

My slicer is based on the table/column called 'Sales Master' [RRD] that is in date format on the query.

I have over 4 years of sales data and want to be able to get the YTD number based on any date selection e.g. if the slicer is Jul 17 then it's from Apr-17 to Jul-17, if I select Feb-17 then i want from Apr-16 to Feb-17.

I created a new measure with the following :

USD.YTD = calculate(sum('Sales Master'[USD.A]);
   DATESBETWEEN('Sales Master'[RRD];
    DATE(IF(MONTH(LASTDATE(DATEADD('Sales Master'[RRD];0;MONTH)))>3;
     YEAR(LASTDATE(DATEADD('Sales Master'[RRD];0;MONTH)));
     YEAR(LASTDATE(DATEADD('Sales Master'[RRD];0;MONTH)))-1);4;1);
    LASTDATE(DATEADD('Sales Master'[RRD];0;MONTH))
  ))

Not sure if I just need to/possible to change the 2nd line above to something like: DATESBETWEEN(ALL('Sales Master'[RRD]); or a more simple approach to this?

I also know I need to do some error handling on this e.g. if the slicer has no selection it returns something funny rather than the entire total.

Any help pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pledington,

Your date filed in resource table is continuous or not? If not, you should create a calendar table, relate the calendar table to 'Sales Master' table by [date] field. Then you can try the fomula below.

USD.YTD =
IF (
    MONTH ( LASTDATE ( DATEADD ( 'Sales Master'[RRD], 0, MONTH ) ) ) > 3,
    CALCULATE (
        TOTALYTD ( 'Sales Master'[RRD], 'Calendar'[DATE] ),
        DATEADD ( 'Calendar'[Date], -3, MONTH )
    ),
    CALCULATE (
        TOTALYTD ( 'Sales Master'[RRD], 'Calendar'[DATE] ),
        SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( Calendar[Date] )
    )
)

If this still returns uncorrect result, could you please share your sample table for further analysis?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.