Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chunkysoup
Frequent Visitor

Year over year percentage for various products

Hello,

I have found many other similar questions and have tried the solutions contained within those but to no avail.

Below is my data. I would like to create a chart that shows the percentage of growth/decline of a product line year over year.

YearOverYear.jpgI am assuming I would have to create a measure for each product line individually unless DAX can lookup what is in the Values field? That is step 1001. I just need to get past Step 1 for now and create a measure that actually works. I have tried the quick measures but it just always shows as Zero and I can't even bring in the Year Column. I had to create a seperate calendar and bring that in and even then I couldn't bring in the year, I had to create days first and determine the year and then I could create the relationship but bringing into the quick measure I could only bring in days...not years.

I am new to measures and more than a little stumped on this as I learn all the syntax as well. Thanks ahead of time for any support you can give.  Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @chunkysoup,

Based on my test, you could refer to below formula:

YOY for Line1 = var a=MAX([Year])-1
var b=CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Product Line1]),FILTER(ALL('Table1'),'Table1'[Year]=a))
return DIVIDE(b-CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Product Line1])),CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Product Line1])))

Result:

1.PNG

For different line, you just need to modify the formula to replace the [Product Line1]. Also you could download the pbix file to have a view.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might want to consider an alternative solution where you won't have to create a measure for each product line.

If you unpivot your data table, things become much easier.UnpivotUnpivotRename columnRename column

You end up with this:

dataTable.JPG

If you than create a measure like:

Measure = 
var CurYear=max(Table2[Year])
var PrevYear=CurYear-1
var curValue= CALCULATE(sum(Table2[Value]);Table2[Year]=CurYear)
var PvValue = CALCULATE(sum(Table2[Value]);Table2[Year]=PrevYear)
var ratio = DIVIDE(PvValue-curValue;curValue)
return
if(COUNTROWS(values(Table2[Year]))=1;ratio)

You'll be able to view information for all product lines like so:

Final ResultFinal Result

I made changes to the previously shared pbix: Year over year percentage for various products.pbix

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @chunkysoup,

Based on my test, you could refer to below formula:

YOY for Line1 = var a=MAX([Year])-1
var b=CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Product Line1]),FILTER(ALL('Table1'),'Table1'[Year]=a))
return DIVIDE(b-CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Product Line1])),CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Product Line1])))

Result:

1.PNG

For different line, you just need to modify the formula to replace the [Product Line1]. Also you could download the pbix file to have a view.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much! @v-danhe-msft I actually reversed it to show the decline. Now I just need to remove the 100% and show it as 0 otherwise all the charts look like they all decline right off the bat when a number of them grow

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.