cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boyddt_mn Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Year over year comparison of two variables

I have been tasked with replictating some reports that are currently generated in Excel. I have included data and a screen capture of the existing chart below. I am trying to use the "line and clustered column" chart but it appears to only support a single line. I found this post https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Year-over-year-comparison/m-p/531740 and it seems as though it would work but I haven't attempted it yet.

Last Name First Name DOI Severity LostTime Description Direct Cause Injury Type Department Op Code/Line Supervisor
LastName1 FirstName1 1/2/2019 First Aid N Bruised Struck By/Against Contusion Screw II S Line Rob Bower
LastName2 FirstName2 1/3/2019 Recordable N Pulled muscle Overexertion Acute Strain Nails TFN Jack Dempsey
LastName3 FirstName3 1/9/2018 Recordable N Fall Slip/Trip/Fall Contusion Document Control Dustin Johnson
LastName4 FirstName4 1/11/2018 First Aid N Contusion Slip/Trip/Fall Contusion Sterile Pack Sterile Pack Deanna Hoppe

YoY_Chart.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Year over year comparison of two variables

Hi @boyddt_mn ,

What do you put into Fields? Can you please share a dummy file? I can't understand the scenario clearly. You could reference the blog firstly.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Frequent Visitor

@v-xuding-msft what is the best way to share the data file? I finally have it and I'm not sure how best to get it to you. 

David

Frequent Visitor

Here is a text output from the view I'm using

IncidentsPerMonth, Severity, DOI
1, Non-occ, 2017-10-31
1, Recordable, 2017-12-17
1, First aid, 2017-12-22
2, First aid, 2018-01-04
1, First aid, 2018-01-05
1, First aid, 2018-01-11
1, Recordable, 2018-01-11
1, First aid, 2018-01-13
1, First aid, 2018-01-15
1, First aid, 2018-01-16
1, First aid, 2018-01-18
1, First aid, 2018-01-19
1, First aid, 2018-01-22
1, First aid, 2018-01-24
1, First aid, 2018-01-29
1, First aid, 2018-02-05

Frequent Visitor

@v-xuding-msft , after some soul searching and uncomplicating my thought process here is a link to the data source

EHS Data Source

This is the output from a view in SQL Server that I'm using in Power BI. I can modify the view if necessary.

Thank you in advance for any help or direction you can offier.

David

David, 

You ever get this figured out / solved?

Im working with the same data.. and am running into the same issues PLUS having to pull my data from 4 different excel sheets and not much of the colums add up.

Any help would be great. 

luke 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors