Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smileamile2
Resolver I
Resolver I

Year over year by date with a dynamic date slicer

I have setup a data model with a dynamic date selection slicer. It works great when I have my Calendar table connected directly to my Date Periods table. However, I need to also include Year over Year Sales Amount, which is where I'm stuck. I need to be able to select a date period (like Last Quarter), and get results by date as:

Sales = sum(amount) 10/1/21 - 12/31/21 

Sales Last Year = sum(amount) 10/1/20 - 12/31/20

Here is a link to my sample file: sample.pbix 

Results with date table connected:

smileamile2_3-1647620921212.png

Data model with connected date table:

smileamile2_4-1647620966283.png

With disconnected date table:

smileamile2_2-1647620773148.png

Data model (disconnected Date Periods and Calendar): 

smileamile2_0-1647620651628.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @smileamile2 ;

You could add another measure.

Measure = CALCULATE([Sales Last Year],PARALLELPERIOD('Sales'[sales_date],-12,MONTH),ALL('Sales'))

The final output is shown below:

vyalanwumsft_0-1647917401581.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @smileamile2 ;

You could add another measure.

Measure = CALCULATE([Sales Last Year],PARALLELPERIOD('Sales'[sales_date],-12,MONTH),ALL('Sales'))

vyalanwumsft_0-1647917401581.png

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @smileamile2 ;

May be should delete relationship, then modify the measure as follows:

vyalanwumsft_0-1647827987278.png

Sales = CALCULATE( SUM(Sales[amount]),FILTER('Sales',[sales_date] in VALUES('Date Periods'[Date])))
Sales Last Year = CALCULATE( SUM(Sales[amount]),FILTER('Sales',[sales_date] in DATEADD('Date Periods'[Date],-1,YEAR)))

vyalanwumsft_1-1647828191018.pngvyalanwumsft_2-1647828201815.png

Best Regards,

@v-yalanwu-msft Hello! I very much appreciate your help on this. However, I think I incorrectly explained how I needed it to display. Your solution works well, but it attaches the individual dates to the current and last year measures. Instead, I need it to have them both attached to the "current" dates, but showing current and last year's amounts for the values. 

Using the snapshot below as an example, suggested solution displays as the top chart. The bottom chart is what I need to get as the result. 

FYI - I updated the sample file to include 2020 data too, so the sample set covers prior year for all date filter options.

smileamile2_0-1647871051576.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.