Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Chitemerere
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Year appearing in Calendar but Absent in Database

I have a data source PharmaAuditGW which is in my SQL Server.  I have quiried the database to search for the existence of data between certain dates.  I checked for data for the year 2015 as i was having strange "Year" values in my Year slicer in Power BI.  The SQL query is as follows:

PharmaGWSQLQuery.PNGThe query above shows there is no records with year 2015 in my data source.  I construct my calendar as follows:

GWAuditCalendar.PNGHowever, when i put a "Year" slicer in my report, I get the following:

CalendarYear.PNG

I am puzzled why the year 2015 appears in my Calendar when it does not exist in my data source.

Please assist in troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Chris 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Chitemerere - can you query for a distinct list of years available in your SQL DB; or what result do you get when you get when you query for MIN of "Date Dispensed"

The Calendar function in Power BI will create dates within the range provided - so if your MIN date is in 2012 and MAX is 2020 then it will generate dates from 01/01/2012 to 12/31/2020 - including 2015 even if you do not have data for the same

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Chitemerere 

Are you using import mode for the data source? If so, can you select the fact table in table view and sort by date ascending and see what the first date is?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Paul on Linkedin.

Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Chitemerere - can you query for a distinct list of years available in your SQL DB; or what result do you get when you get when you query for MIN of "Date Dispensed"

The Calendar function in Power BI will create dates within the range provided - so if your MIN date is in 2012 and MAX is 2020 then it will generate dates from 01/01/2012 to 12/31/2020 - including 2015 even if you do not have data for the same

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Thank you for the assistance, it helped

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Chitemerere , I can see different dates used in SQL and Power BI for Min date for Calendar. Make sure you check Database on same date.

Many thanks for your response.  It just the same column 'Date Dispensed' which is a datetime and tranformed into a date as new column as 'Dates'

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.