Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Year/Quarter/Month/Day not showing up on X axis for my dataset

I have a Date/Time dataset (which is a custom column I've converted so I'm guessing that's the reason why it's not working) that isn't showing a Year/Quarter/Month/Day for the x axis. At the moment it's showing every single ticket date by the specific date, which is obviously not what I want since I have over a 1000, I want to see a monthly record otherwise it's a mess, as you can see here below:

KyleAdam_0-1611668249642.png

For the x axis there should be a choice to filter your dates into a Year/Quarter/Month/Day measurement. Like it is here for another Date/Time dataset that I have: 

pbi selection.png

I just want my new converted datasets to have the same features the other Date/Time datasets have. The new Custom Columns that I created for the converted datasets were because the original datasets were millisecond 13-digit Time Stamps that I converted into an original Date/Time format. As you can see below, they converted perfectly just as intended: 

custom.png

So what could be the issue here for why it doesn't have the same graph features as a standard Date/Time dataset has?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Whenever you move a DATE type column to a chart's x-axis, then you should select the following option to make the hierarchy work:

Pragati11_0-1611670153325.png

Once you do this you get a drill-down icon on the top right of your chart which you can use to drill to the month level:

Pragati11_1-1611670076288.png

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys, such a simple solution, It was really puzzling me for a while now and I couldn't find a solution. Appreciate it! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say couple of things to check-

1. Please check if the time intelligence is enabled for the report.

2. The Created Time filed on the axis of the visual, you can see a downward arrow , click over there and see if there is an option for date hierarchy.

3. Create a date hieracrcy for the Created Time field.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Whenever you move a DATE type column to a chart's x-axis, then you should select the following option to make the hierarchy work:

Pragati11_0-1611670153325.png

Once you do this you get a drill-down icon on the top right of your chart which you can use to drill to the month level:

Pragati11_1-1611670076288.png

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.