Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rodneyc8063
Helper V
Helper V

Year Over Year Comparison with Offset

Hello all

I was recently tasked with looking into Power BI as a solution to our reporting needs, so I am just starting to do a bit of training on it.

As I am doing my training, I am trying to keep in mind what possible reports we may want to convert over into Power BI, one of these types of reports is a year over year comparison with an offset.

I know that there are some functions and visuals we can leverage such as [SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR]. And I have read that a Year over Year report isnt too out of the ordinary.

BUT I was wondering, is it possible to do a Year Over Year Comparison WITH an OFFSET? Specifically can this be done with a slicer?

So for example today is March 1, 2019.

My report would show data for March 1, 2019 vs March 1, 2018.

But I have some end users where they want to be able to shift last years data plus (+) or minus (-) a certain offset, or days.

So a user may want to have a report showing March 1, 2019 vs Feb 27, 2019. So a user would want to OFFSET last years day by -2 days. This would depend on the user input and cant be pre set.

We currently have reports (we use Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition [OBIEE]) that use parameters using a date and then an offset as shown below

offset.jpg

Im just starting to get my feet wet and learn more about PBI, but I would greatly appreciate any advice/insight or if someone can point me in the right direction as to how I can get this kind of functionality.

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

That report is quite slick

I do appreciate the suggestion, and I think I would need more time to dig into that report. It is promising as it does a year over year compare, but then I still have a need for an "offset" on the date.

Currently we have the offset as a textbox variable that a user can enter.

It does not seem like PBI has an option to be able to use a textbox input, so I was debating possibly making a slicer with pre set values to serve as our offset. So instead of typing something, a user would be forced to select something.

Then from there pull in the offset value into our last year column.

I actually found this earlier post here that suggests I can use a selected value from a slicer in a DAX formula

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Using-selections-in-slicers-as-variables-in-a-DAX-measuer/t...

Not sure if this would work as I expect?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.