Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HSF

Yammer

Can someone guide me how to extract data from Yammer at regular interval and create Power BI Dashboard and Reports from this data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @HSF,

Power BI desktop supports tyGraph connector that allows users to get data from Yammer.

1.PNG

Alternatively, you can visualize and explore your tyGraph data in Power BI service with the Power BI content pack. Start by connecting to your tyGraph account and loading the dashboard, reports and dataset. For details, please see: tyGraph content pack for Power BI

Besides, you can export Yammer data to .csv file, then, load data from csv file to Power BI desktop. 

Reference: Yammer Analytics with Excel and Power BI

export yammer data

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @HSF,

Power BI desktop supports tyGraph connector that allows users to get data from Yammer.

1.PNG

Alternatively, you can visualize and explore your tyGraph data in Power BI service with the Power BI content pack. Start by connecting to your tyGraph account and loading the dashboard, reports and dataset. For details, please see: tyGraph content pack for Power BI

Besides, you can export Yammer data to .csv file, then, load data from csv file to Power BI desktop. 

Reference: Yammer Analytics with Excel and Power BI

export yammer data

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft 

We are using all office 365 tools(sharepoont online, power bi, yammer,ms words,ms teams,power apps, ms flows outlooks etc.) in my company in order to be sure everything is integrated properly. Honestly, I can not understand why do we need to make that much workaround for creating power bi reports with yammer data.

Please consider my below comments;

1. Why do we need to use third party tools like tyGraph(still in beta) while yammer is an office 365 feature? Microsoft should provide a connector for yammer.
  2. The other solution you provide is to use csv file. But, yammer is a real time application and we will not check the report for one time. Report also should be real time also we can not export csv file everytime.

As a workaround, I am using yammer api  with a token. It is working properly in power bi desktop. But after I publish my report in power bi online,  I am getting this error 'Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.' in data source credentials. Therefore, I could not set up 'Scheduled Refresh'.

As a last option, I will create my custom api gateway which connects Yammer APIs. But, I would like to know before implementing this workaround, If there is a more proper solution.

tyGraph is not for free and two other ways suggested are more or less not efficent enough to get them automated with Power BI.

People / companies can create all Yammer based cool dashboards on their own. Just make it possible to directly connect n automate the Yammer feed extraction in PowerBI. It's a pity we can connect to Facebook, SalesForce n what not from PowerBI directly but not to Yammer. 😞 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.