Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bmbyrnes
Frequent Visitor

YTD vs PYTD by month

I know there have been a ton of solutions on this but I've tried many of them with no luck. Obviously I'm pretty new to PowerBI.

I'm trying to compare current YTD COGS vs LYTD COGS. My data is organized by month from Jan 2017 to March 2020.

YTD COGS = CALCULATE(SUM(AIT_RAW_Monthly[COGS Monthly]),'Calendar'[Date])
PYTD COGS = CALCULATE([YTD COGS],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Date]))

Even the following expression returns just 2020 YTD (Jan, Feb, March).
YTD COGS = CALCULATE(SUM(AIT_RAW_Monthly[COGS Monthly]),CALENDAR(DATE(2018,1,1),TODAY())

Below are some screenshots of my data. My relationship is YearMonth between COGS table and Calendar table.

Am I missing some relationship between MonthYear to actual date in the calendar table?

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bmbyrnes,

Maybe you can take a look at following link about use date function to manually define filter range and rolling calculate, it should more suitable with irregular date records:

Time Intelligence "The Hard Way" (TITHW) 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The date table generated from your code in Dates_Dim runs from 12/1/2018 - 10/31/2019. Using time intelligence functions with a date table that does not cover the full years can give you wrong answers. Try changing your Dates_Dim code to the following.

Dates_Dim =
ADDCOLUMNS(
CALENDAR (
DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY() ) - 1, 1, 1 ),
DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY() ), 12, 31 )
),
"Day", DAY ( [Date] ),
"Month", MONTH ( [Date] ),
"Month_name", FORMAT ( [Date], "MMM" ),
"Year", YEAR ( [Date] )
)

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bmbyrnes 

The YTD formula should use dateytd or totalytd

example

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
This Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD((ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date])),"12/31"))

Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
Last YTD complete Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))
Last to last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,Year),"12/31"))

Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))

Those expressions don't seem to work.

This expression returns JUST November and December 2019 COGS. Shouldn't it return everything in calendar 2019 UP TO 11/1/2019? It appears the expression is doing the YTD COGS from December and moves backwards in time.

YTD COGS = CALCULATE(SUM(AIT_RAW_Monthly[COGS Monthly]),DATESYTD('Calendar'[Date],"11/1/2019"))

This expression returns nothing. I wonder if 'Calendar'[Date] is messed up.

PYTD COGS = CALCULATE(SUM(AIT_RAW_Monthly[COGS Monthly]), DATESYTD(DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,YEAR),"12/31"))

@bmbyrnes 

If you are using calendar year Jan-Dec , do not use 12/31

DATESYTD(DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,YEAR)))

This basically year-end date end. Means If my year is from Apr to march then I will give "3/31". Means start my year from April for YTD

vijayvizzu
Helper III
Helper III

Did you tried the DAX Time intelligence function DATESYTD to get the YTD values. Once you achieve this, you can use SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function to calculate last year values

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/datesytd-function-dax

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/sameperiodlastyear-function-dax

Thanks for the reply. I have tried YTD expressions and they don't seem to work.

I think it's not working because my slicer only has 2019 selected. How do I still calculate PYTD without selected that year too? I don't want to select both years in the slicer and adjust all my visualizations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.