Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

joleift
Frequent Visitor

YTD measure returns MTD numbers

Hello.

I am using a standard measure for YTD opex

YTD_Opex_Enterprise = TOTALYTD(sum(Finance_Entry[Balance_In_Enterprise]);Finance_Date[THE_DATE];Finance_Entry[Account_Grouping_3_No(lookup)]=601)

If I ad the measure to a table with "Date - YTD Opex - OPEX" columns the measure works as expected with YTD accumulating over the year.

However: If I add Month to columns the YTD measure suddenly returns a MTD calculation where at the beginning of the next month the measure returns the first number of the following months. If I remove the date colums the YTD and the opex measure returns the same value each month.

I really dont understand why the measure does this. Any tips or advice would be welcome.

YTD w date.JPGYTD w month (=MTD).JPG

YTD w only month.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joleift,

Where is the Month of the table visual from? It should be from table Finance_Date. You have defined it in the formula YTD_Opex_Enterprise. Please give it a try.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank everyone for your help.  I feel that it was more of an ignorance issue with me.  I hope to help others like you have helped me.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@joleift

Are you using a seperate date table or pulling the date from a fact table?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @kcantor

The dates are from another table (Finance_Date), finance numbers are from Finance_Entry. I tried to ad the dates to columns in Finance_Entry from a LOOKUPVALUE against Finance_Date, but the YTD formula still returns the same errors

Finance relationships.JPG

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@joleift

Can you add a snip of your full data model? I see four connections. Are they all for the same two tables? You may need to specify which relationship to use if they are. Is your date table just dates with no missing dates? Is other information living in your date table other than dates?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Im adding here a snip of part of the data model. Both "Finance_Entry" and "Finance_Date" are feeds from our accounting software.

"Finance_Date": There will be some dates missing in here.

Relationships.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.