Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nervida
Frequent Visitor

YTD line chart to be stopped at today's date

Hi Everyone, 

I would appreaciate if anyone can help me with building a line chart for YTD data but the line to be intercepted (stopped) at today's date (or lattest date in the data). Let me kindly explain further: when I built the visualization, the chart shows me the line till the end of August, despite we are in the middle in the month, I want the line to end at my blue drawing, not at the yellow as it does. 

axis.PNG chart.PNG

I have used this calendar table:

Date Table = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR (DATE(2000,1,1), TODAY()))

And this formula: 

Yr cumulative data =
IF(ISFILTERED('Date Table'[Date]),
ERROR("Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column."),TOTALYTD(SUM('UK List'[GrossAmount]),'Date Table'[Date]))

Even when I tried the monthly revenue line chart, with the following formula is gives the same feature, by :

YTD cummulative =
VAR RetVal = TOTALYTD(SUM('UK List'[GrossAmount]),'Date KPI'[Date].[Date])
RETURN
IF(MAX('Date Table'[Date])<=TODAY(),RetVal)

monthly chart.PNG

I would be very grateful if you can help me find this solution, as it will help me to represent the real picture of the month.

Thank you so much, 

All the best, 

Nervida

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use the "Filter on this Visual" section to drive the results you want. Simily apply the filter "Is Not Blank" to your metric, and you should see the results you want. 

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nervida

You may try to make the date hierarchy as below picture.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherie, 

Thank you so much for your response. When I chose your given options, it stops exactly to the today's date, but it gives me in the axis the daily number and it is a very long table so I need to scroll into the graph to see all the yearly picture. Do you know any way of formating the axis so that only the months are shown: 

daily.PNG

Thank you so much, 

Nervida

Hi @nervida

You may try to use date as Axis.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Try this
YTD cummulative =
VAR RetVal = TOTALYTD(SUM('UK List'[GrossAmount]),'Date KPI'[Date].[Date])
RETURN
IF(MAX('Date Table'[Date])<DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY(),1)),RetVal)

Hi Seward, 

Thank you so much for your response, however the formula that you gave it to me seems to cut the August totally. It ends up until July. I want to it to shows me also the August data up to today's date. 

july.PNG

All the best, 

Nervida

Sorry that is what I thought you wanted. Something closer to your original formula should work but I’m guessing your data ends before today so there are still days between the last date with data and today.

So rather than today you need to use something like MAX of the date the measure your plotting has data rather than TODAY.

Hi Seward, 

Dont worry at all, indeed I need to thank you for your support. 

I checked the data and there are today's data value in it. Even when I put the week as axis it gives the straight line for all that week. May be I am missing something on visualization? Does your data end exactly to the last date given?

Thank you again, 

Have a nice day, 

Nervida

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.