Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MRN8840
Helper I
Helper I

YTD average on line chart

Hi!

New member here 🙂

I have a line chart showing to water usage (in m3) in a building for the last 8 days. The data comes from a Power BI Dataflow every morning with readings from the previous day. One reading every hour; 24 readings per day.

I would like, on the same line chart, a line that shows the average water compsumption YTD, so that I can compare.

I assume I need to make som measures, but I need a hint to get me started? Anyone? 🙂

Vand.png

7 REPLIES 7
AiolosZhao
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @MRN8840 ,

As you said, yes, you need a measure to calcualte the avg value of YTD, then put it as value, then I think that's what you want.

I assume that you only have 1 year data, then the YTD measure can be:

YTD = sum(your_water_usage) / countrows(value(your_date_column))

please try.

Aiolos Zhao

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @AiolosZhao 

Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention something rather important! The building actually has three watermeters, which I sum together in the visualisation:

Filters.png

I assume that I somehow need to add these three together also? Maybe in another measure or in the same?

Hi @MRN8840 ,

I think that's depands on what you want, if you want to sum 3 together, then you can do that in a measure I think.

But according to your screenshot, it seems that you use filter to get your 3 watermeters type,

if your watermeter data is in one column, but you need 3 of watermeters type, then you can use filter to do it.

if what I understand is wrong, then you can try to sum the 3 watermeters column together in one measure.

You can try it.

Aiolos Zhao

Hi again @AiolosZhao !

Thank you so much for your time 🙂

My english is not the best, so I haven't been specific enough 😞 I don't need YTD, but average per day YTD...

Maybe I should describe my dataflow thoroughly. Every night at 3 am my dataflow is updated with readings for the previous day. It is one file with a mix of readings from 13 different meters. 24 readings from each meter = 312 lines added per day. It looks like this:

Aflæsning.png

Måler_ID: ID of the meter (13 different).

Aflæsning_start: Timestamp of the beginning of the reading

Aflæsning_slut: Timestamp of the end of the reading

Aflæsning: Reading (usage from 'Aflæsning_start' to 'Aflæsning_slut')

Enhed: Unit (MWh = heat, kWh = electricity, m3 = water)

Aflæsnings_døgn: Day of readed (extracted from 'Aflæsning_start')

So all these values are mixed together in one file. And reading from 13 different meters in the same coloumn.

In order to get a daily average for the water usage, I first need to sum together the readings from three meters ('Vand_161654', 'Vand_161655' and 'Vand_161656') per day and then divide it by the number of days YTD.

Does it make sense? 🙂

Hi @MRN8840 ,

Sorry for reply late, it is very clearly, thanks for the sample.

Now I think firstly you can create a measure to sum the meters that your want:

measure1 = calculate(sum(Aflæsning),Måler_ID in {"first_id","second_id","third_id"})

then I think you need to count the number of day

measure2 = calculate(countrows(value(Aflæsning_slut)),Måler_ID in {"first_id","second_id","third_id"}) / 24

finally the third measure is what you want:

measure3 = measure1 / measure2

Hope that's what you want, please try it and test the result, I'm afraid that I will missing something.

Aiolos Zhao

Hi @AiolosZhao 

Sorry to have kept you waiting, I have been on holiday for the last three weeks 🙂

Your first measure works, but the problem is it only sums up the number of days in the visualization. I need it to sum up all the numbers from january 1st.

Skærmbillede 2019-08-13 kl. 10.44.30.png

As you can see the result of the first measure is only 109.22 = the measures for the last eight days. I need the sum from the whole year.

In my project I also have a date table including i coloumn with 'Day in year'. Does this make it easier? 🙂

Thank you so much 🙂

Hi @MRN8840 ,

measure1 = calculate(sum(Aflæsning),Måler_ID in {"first_id","second_id","third_id"})

I'm not sure why above measure only show 8 days in your chart, because you  can see in the measure, there is no any limitation about the date, and if your chart is also no limitation about the date, I think maybe for the 3 id that you choose, there is only 8 days data for them, right?

if not, could you please show your dimension and expression of you chart?

Thanks.

Aiolos Zhao

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.