Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gingerjeans88
Helper IV
Helper IV

YTD and Previous YTD - Fiscal Year

Hi all,

After a bit of help getting Year to Date calculations. 

Essentially, my fiscal year starts on a different day every year (Monday of the third week of September, so a different date every year!) so I have captured this in a calculated column using 'switch' (if sales date is greater than or equal X date and less than or equal to Y date, set this as the year'. This is obviously very manual so I have done it for many years in advance.

Somehow, I need to show YTD COUNT (not sum) of sales for the current year, as well as the previous year and the one before that. 

How do I do this and can I do it without needing to build a full calendar table? Usually I would use DATESYTD and then for the previous year just use ' - 1' year....but as the end date for each year is different this is not reliable. 

Thanks so much!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Gingerjeans88 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question.

In my opinion, it is better to have Dim-Caledar table based on your Fiscal Year.

I created a Dim Calendar Table in the sample pbix file (link down below), that starts from every year September 3rd week Monday. Once it is created, I think it is not too difficult to continue the calculation.

Please check the below picture and the sample pbix file's link down below.

I created some sample calculation for qty total, qty total YTD, and qty total YTD previous FY.

If you can share your sample pbix file's link, then I can try to look into in to come up with the sales count measures.

Picture1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/087akcnkww08a9d/gingerjeans.pbix?dl=0 

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/jihwankim1975/

Twitter: twitter.com/Jihwan_JHKIM

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Gingerjeans88 ,

You really need to build a calendar table:

Dim_Date =
VAR A =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR ( DATE ( 2018, 1, 1 ), DATE ( 2021, 12, 31 ) ),
        "AYEAR", YEAR ( [Date] ),
        "Month", MONTH ( [Date] ),
        "weekday", WEEKDAY ( [Date], 2 ),
        "WEEKNUMOFMONTH",
            WEEKNUM ( [Date] ) - WEEKNUM ( DATE ( YEAR ( [Date] ), MONTH ( [Date] ), 1 ) ) + 1
    )
VAR B =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        A,
        "ISFirstday of a fiscal year",
            IF ( [Month] = 9 && [weekday] = 1 && [weeknumofmonth] = 3, 1, 0 )
    )
RETURN
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        B,
        "FiscalYear",
            SUMX (
                FILTER ( B, [Date] <= EARLIER ( [Date] ) && [AYEAR] = EARLIER ( [AYEAR] ) ),
                [ISFirstday of a fiscal year]
            ) + [AYEAR] - 1
    )

Capture1.PNG

Then you can use the following measure:

YTD = CALCULATE(COUNT(Order[id]),FILTER(Dim_Date,Dim_Date[FiscalYear] = MAX(Dim_Date[FiscalYear])&&Dim_Date[Date]<=Today()))

LYTD = CALCULATE(COUNT(Order[id]),FILTER(Dim_Date,Dim_Date[FiscalYear] = MAX(Dim_Date[FiscalYear])-1&&Dim_Date[Date]<=DATE(YEAR(Today())-1,MONTH(Today()),DAY(Today()))))

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Gingerjeans88 ,

You really need to build a calendar table:

Dim_Date =
VAR A =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR ( DATE ( 2018, 1, 1 ), DATE ( 2021, 12, 31 ) ),
        "AYEAR", YEAR ( [Date] ),
        "Month", MONTH ( [Date] ),
        "weekday", WEEKDAY ( [Date], 2 ),
        "WEEKNUMOFMONTH",
            WEEKNUM ( [Date] ) - WEEKNUM ( DATE ( YEAR ( [Date] ), MONTH ( [Date] ), 1 ) ) + 1
    )
VAR B =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        A,
        "ISFirstday of a fiscal year",
            IF ( [Month] = 9 && [weekday] = 1 && [weeknumofmonth] = 3, 1, 0 )
    )
RETURN
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        B,
        "FiscalYear",
            SUMX (
                FILTER ( B, [Date] <= EARLIER ( [Date] ) && [AYEAR] = EARLIER ( [AYEAR] ) ),
                [ISFirstday of a fiscal year]
            ) + [AYEAR] - 1
    )

Capture1.PNG

Then you can use the following measure:

YTD = CALCULATE(COUNT(Order[id]),FILTER(Dim_Date,Dim_Date[FiscalYear] = MAX(Dim_Date[FiscalYear])&&Dim_Date[Date]<=Today()))

LYTD = CALCULATE(COUNT(Order[id]),FILTER(Dim_Date,Dim_Date[FiscalYear] = MAX(Dim_Date[FiscalYear])-1&&Dim_Date[Date]<=DATE(YEAR(Today())-1,MONTH(Today()),DAY(Today()))))

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hey @v-deddai1-msft - bump on this. Any further pointers re: my below question?

when I try to build visuals usng the YTD and LYTD, now that I have built and related the dim-date table, they are all blank - after a closer look, it looks like there are some dates missing in the table. Is there a reason for this, is it because it's trimmed? See screenshot below. 

Gingerjeans88_0-1621606855811.png

hey @v-deddai1-msft - when I try to build visuals usng the YTD and LYTD, now that I have built and related the dim-date table, they are all blank - after a closer look, it looks like there are some dates missing in the table. Is there a reason for this, is it because it's trimmed? See screenshot below. 

Gingerjeans88_0-1621170216979.png

You have no idea how grateful I am for this!!!! Thank you so much!

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Gingerjeans88 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question.

In my opinion, it is better to have Dim-Caledar table based on your Fiscal Year.

I created a Dim Calendar Table in the sample pbix file (link down below), that starts from every year September 3rd week Monday. Once it is created, I think it is not too difficult to continue the calculation.

Please check the below picture and the sample pbix file's link down below.

I created some sample calculation for qty total, qty total YTD, and qty total YTD previous FY.

If you can share your sample pbix file's link, then I can try to look into in to come up with the sales count measures.

Picture1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/087akcnkww08a9d/gingerjeans.pbix?dl=0 

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/jihwankim1975/

Twitter: twitter.com/Jihwan_JHKIM

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

@Jihwan_Kim this is outstanding and ended up, in conjunction with the top comment, really really helped. May I ask, though, is the Month Sort by FY column done in M? I can't access transform data because it's stored locally on  your machine, so that would be great to understand. 

Hi, @Gingerjeans88 

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Please check the link down below. It is the source file of the pbix file.

I think there are also some ways in creating columns for the purpose of sorting, but in this case, I created those in Power Query Editor.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8qw6y6qx1avd3wau9t1m3/0426.xlsx?dl=0&rlkey=rm9cr1zm8ikrosiomnx5tun6l 

Go to My LinkedIn Page

@Jihwan_Kim Thank you SO much! Looking at the previous YTD, though, it looks like it's just counting everything from the previous year....I want it to only count until the same 'day' as today, but last year. So that I am comparing like with like. Does that make sense?

Could it be that I don't have a qty total per date row? I just have a date on every record. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Gingerjeans88 , Assume you can have date tbale, where you can code start of year , then have these columns

Year Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[Year Start date],,ASC,Dense)

Day of Year =datediff([Year Start date] , [Date],Day) +1

Then YTD till date

YTD= CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year Rank]=max('Date'[Year Rank]) && 'Date'[Day of Year] <= Max('Date'[Day of Year]) ))
LYTD = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year Rank]=max('Date'[Year Rank])-1 && 'Date'[Day of Year] <= Max('Date'[Day of Year])))

Also check

YTD= CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year]) && 'Date'[Month] <= Max('Date'[Month]) ))
LYTD = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])-1 && 'Date'[Month] <= Max('Date'[Month])))

YTD= CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year]) && 'Date'[Month] <= Max('Date'[Qtr]) ))
LYTD = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])-1 && 'Date'[Month] <= Max('Date'[Qtr])))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.