Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stben
Regular Visitor

YTD and Date Tables

Hi!

I am trying to do what I thought would be a fairly simple YTD measure for variance to budget (Actual minus Budget).

My measure is defined as

NWS VTB $ YTD = TOTALYTD( SUM( PPG[Actual] ) - SUM( PPG[Budget] ) , 'Time Map'[FiscalDate] , "06/01/2017" )

TimeMap is my date table, and Fiscal Date is in MM/dd/YYYY.  The FY ends on 06/01/2017.  Because our business always talks about Fiscal Months in a different format ( June of FY17 is written as FY2017-P01), in my TimeMap for every Fiscal Date there is a corresponding 'Fiscal Month'.  Snapshot below.

Capture.JPG

In my report I want to graph the variance to budget YTD by FiscalMonth (not FiscalDate).  Sadly, for each month I just get the monthly variance.  Also, if I try to display the variance in a Card with a FiscalMonth slicer, the YTD only works if I sequentially select the months.  Changing to FiscalDate doesn't help either.

Example: Month 1 is -10, and Month 2 is +5.  Month 2 YTD should be -5.  If I select Month 2 alone in the slicer, I get +5.  If I select both Months 1 & 2 I get the correct -5. 

How can I fix my DAX or model so each month correctly returns the YTD?  Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

you are using an inbuilt time intelligence function, but your calendar table doesn't follow the required rules for inbuilt time intelligence functions.  You will need to write a custom time intelligence function instead.  Read my article here

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/

Note the sample custom time intelligence function towards the end of the article.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@stben

What is your PPG table like? I tried with PPG and Time Map as below. It seems that your measure can return the right result. These two tables have relationship with the Date key.

YTD and Date Tables_1.jpg

(20 + 17 + 88) – (81 + 6 + 89) = -51

YTD and Date Tables_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Herbert,

The issue was my PPG table only had the Fiscal Month data, not Fiscal Date.  I had to create a separate 'Calendar' table with just the Fiscal Dates, add another Connection to my Time Map, and now it works out.

Thanks for the help.

you are using an inbuilt time intelligence function, but your calendar table doesn't follow the required rules for inbuilt time intelligence functions.  You will need to write a custom time intelligence function instead.  Read my article here

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/

Note the sample custom time intelligence function towards the end of the article.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Ah thanks for pointing that out! 

I created a new table with just a single column with the Fiscal Dates, connected that to my Date Map, and replaced the reference in the YTD formula with the new table.  It works out perfectly!

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.